To be a resource for inland river ports, terminals, and river-borne transportation services and to promote the value of the inland river transportation system to users and policymakers.
Goals & Objectives:
- Promote the healthy growth and operation of inland river ports, terminals and intermodal centers which contribute to a more efficient national freight transportation system.
- Promote foreign and domestic commerce, economic development and job creation throughout the inland waterway system.
- Promote river- and port-related commercial and industrial development throughout the inland waterway system.
- Educate policy makers and the general public on the environmental and economic advantages of the inland rivers, ports and terminals.
- Effectively market the national inland waterway system to encourage:
- New and existing business opportunities;
- A viable solution to the freight transportation crisis;
- A means for providing IRPT members with a sustained competitive advantage.
- Encourage continuing cooperation with associated marine, economic development and trade organizations while concurrently refining our own differentiating role.
Benefits to Members:
- IRPT provides a national perspective on federal legislative and policy issues affecting ports and terminals through position statements.
- IRPT keeps members abreast of technical, operational, economic and security issues affecting U.S. inland ports, terminals and river systems.
- IRPT promotes and markets the inland waterway system including ports, terminals and intermodal centers.
- IRPT unifies the inland ports, terminals and river systems in support of common objectives.