Notice issued October 18, 2017
Estimated total program funding: $7,000,000
Award ceiling: $250,000
Award floor: $10,000
Deadline to submit proposal: January 22, 2018
Synopsis of Funding Opportunity: The U.S. Forest Service requests proposals to substantially expand and accelerate wood energy and wood products markets throughout the United States to support forest management needs on National Forest System and other forest lands. This Request for Proposals focuses on the following priorities to:
• Reduce hazardous fuels and improve forest health on National Forest System and other forest lands.
• Reduce costs of forest management on all land types.
• Promote economic and environmental health of communities.
Funding will be awarded in two separate categories.
• Grant Category 1: Expansion of Wood Energy Markets – The intent of this category is to:
A. Stimulate, expand, or support wood energy markets that depend on forest residues or forest byproducts generated from all land types. Projects can include, but are not limited to:
i. Develop a cluster of wood energy projects in a geographic area or specific sector (e.g., prisons, hospitals, universities, manufacturing sector, or industrial sector).
ii. Overcome market barriers and stimulate expansion of wood energy in the commercial sector.
B. Complete requirements, such as engineering designs, cost analyses, and permitting, necessary in the later stages of wood energy project development to secure financing.
• Grant Category 2: Expansion of Wood Products Markets – The intent of this category is to promote markets that create or expand the demand for non-energy based wood products. Preference will be given to projects that support commercial building markets or other markets that use innovative wood products. Wood energy projects will not be considered under this category because those projects can apply for funding under Grant Category 1. Demonstration projects and applied research will be considered, but applicants are strongly encouraged to first consult with their designed Forest Service Regional Biomass Coordinator to determine whether such projects will be competitive. Specific details, including the application and instructions, can be viewed and downloaded at the website listed below.
Recipients of the 2017 Wood Innovations awards were:
Idaho Youth ChalleNGe Foundation
Fairbanks North Star Borough Precision Energy Services, Inc.
Native Village of Tazlina University of Idaho
Alabama Forestry Foundation IKD
University of Arkansas Dovetail Partners, Inc.
Town of Prescott Valley University of MN
CA Association of Sanitation Agencies University of NE-Lincoln
Camptonville Community Partnership University of NE-Lincoln
H.L. Power Company LP Old Wood, LLC
J.W. Bamford, Inc. Sandoval County
Plumas Unified School District 298 East Village Property LLC
Regents of University of California, Santa Cruz Ecovative Design, LLC
Town of Mammoth Lakes Freres Lumber Co., Inc.
Wood Source Fuels, LLC Oregon State University
WoodWorks Wyeast Timber Services/Neal Creek Forest Products
GA Institute of Technology Home Forward Development Enterprise
Idaho Youth ChalleNGe Foundation Wilson Engineering Services, PC
Precision Energy Services, Inc. Ag Energy Solutions, Inc.
University of Idaho Vaagen Timbers, LLC
IKD Washington Woodland Cooperative
Dovetail Partners, Inc. Whole Trees LLC dba WholeTrees Architecture 7 Structures
University of MN West Virginia University
University of NE-Lincoln