Burns & McDonnell is accepting applications for an Assistant Civil Engineer (Chicago, IL; Omaha, NE).
The Assistant Civil Engineer will work under the supervision of a licensed professional engineer to assist project teams to create world class designs for new projects, alterations and redevelopments on a variety of projects including power, process, corporate, healthcare, pipeline, airports, institutional, industrial, manufacturing, government and military facilities. The Assistant Civil Engineer will work with the project team throughout the design and construction process, adapting civil plans according to budget constraints, design factors or client needs.
- Assists in the civil design of projects from the conceptual phase through design completion.
- Assists with modifying and reviewing production drawings for a variety of projects including, but not limited to: power plants, process facilities, industrial facilities, healthcare facilities, airports, educational institutions, commercial, and governmental and military facilities.
- Assists in designing civil components for project needs and requirements that are set forth by the project managers.
- Applies basic knowledge of commonly used civil engineering/design concepts, principles, practices, codes, and procedures within the civil engineering services industry.
- Assists with research and compiles project related data as required by the project managers. Assists with compiling studies and reports.
- Assists with correcting and updating drawings provided by senior engineers to verify corrections are made within multiple CAD related software.
- Assists with client presentations, shop drawing review, and contract administration for the design of power, process, pipeline, industrial, healthcare, airports, educational institutions, commercial, and governmental and military facilities.
- Assists in performing field inspections, measurements or calculations for public and private clients.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering or related degree from an ABET accredited program.
- Or Bachelor of Science in Civil or related Engineering Technology from an ABET accredited program and successful completion of Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam.
- Master of Science degree in Engineering may be substituted for one year of experience.
- Successful completion of Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) or Engineer-in-Training (EIT) strongly preferred.
- Minimum of a 3.0 GPA strongly preferred.
- Prior internship and/or related consulting experience preferred.
- Involvement on campus or in the community.
- Basic knowledge in standard civil engineering techniques, principles and procedures.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work methodically and analytically in a quantitative problem-solving environment and demonstrated critical thinking skills.
- Proficient computer skills (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite)
- Basic computer skills (e.g. AutoCAD, MicroStation, BIM (Revit), Civil 3D, PLS, PLS-CADD, RISA-3D, MathCADD), and civil analysis programs.
- Strong attention to detail, facilitation, team building, collaboration, organization and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis without requiring future sponsorship for employment visa status.
Burns & McDonnell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Burns & McDonnell is a family of companies with an unmatched team of 7,600 engineers, construction professionals, architects, technologists and scientists. Their singular mission since 1898 has been to make their clients successful. When they plan, design, permit, construct and manage projects worldwide, they do it like they own it.
Please click here to learn more and apply for this position.