Consolidated Terminals is accepting applications for a Barge Facility Technician in Convent, LA. Thank you for your interest in joining our team! We hire right, train smart, empower our employees to make decisions, and provide ample opportunities for growth and ultimate success. At ZGC, we are setting the standard and are the premier supplier of quality grains for export markets.
Zen-Noh Grain Corporation (ZGC) was formed in 1979 to accomplish the goal of establishing a safe and stable supply of U.S. corn, milo, soybeans, and other U.S. food supplies. ZGC is a U.S. subsidiary of ZEN-NOH, the largest agricultural cooperative association in Japan. We operate a grain and oilseed export terminal in Convent, Louisiana, which is the highest-handle grain export terminal in the U.S. In recent years, we have expanded our grain origination and export footprint with joint ventures in Brazil, Canada and Hong Kong. In addition to grain trading, we operate a forage processing and export business headquartered in Washington.
This job is primarily responsible for working at a facility that loads and unloads barges and trucks. This is a general laborer position that performs a wide variety of duties that are based on the daily needs of the operation; may include cleaning and repair of barges.
In this job, you will:
Actual responsibilities will vary depending on daily needs and type of facility.
- Fully participate in the company Safety Program and attends daily pre-shift meetings.
- Perform all duties within compliance of OSHA, company safety, and environmental regulations (ISO where applicable); including wearing appropriate PPE for task being performed.
- Perform deckhand responsibilities e.g., reading drafts, opening/closing lids, tying off barges, etc.
- Perform all barge loading duties e.g., loading barges to meet draft and quality requirements and oversees deckhand(s). Note: Generally the duty of the most highly qualified person(s).
- Perform duties to transfer, load and move grain to appropriate location, where applicable.
- Perform duties required to maintain grain quality while being stored and/or transferred.
- Complete documentation timely, accurately and legibly.
- Perform general clean-up including sweeping, shoveling, washing, painting and other general housekeeping responsibilities.
- Perform preventative maintenance and/or repairs, where applicable.
- Dependent on facility and location, may be responsible for any variety of the following; unloading barges, cleaning barges, movement of product to storage, loading of trucks using heavy equipment, loading of rail, loading of products to required specifications; operating, running, monitoring, and shutting down dryer; operating a variety of heavy equipment.
- Other duties as assigned.
Here’s what you’ll need to be considered:
Required - High school diploma or equivalent, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required – None.
Preferred - 1 years’ experience working in an industrial environment with a dependable work record.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Basic mathematical skills (add, subtract, multiply, divide).
- Effective interpersonal, oral and written communication skills with the ability to interact with all levels of people within and outside the organization.
- Ability to complete documentation requirements.
- Ability to follow directions and use logical thought process to interpret oral and written instructions, and troubleshoot problems.
- Ability to work well both independently and within a team environment.
- Ability to use tools appropriate for assigned task.
- Ability to remain focused on exceptional customer service, both internally and externally.
Here’s additional information you need to know:
Physical Demands & Requirements
Ability to lift/push/pull 45 lbs. occasionally.
Ability to climb, crouch, stoop, bend, and squat, frequently.
Ability to stand and walk constantly/continuously.
Ability to balance constantly/continuously.
Ability to kneel occasionally.
Ability to safely walk on barge surface(s) with the ability to work around deep water.
Ability to grasp and reach frequently.
Ability to understand and communicate verbally, in person and over two-way radio.
Ability to understand and communicate written instructions.
Ability to work outside in extreme weather conditions.
Ability to climb stairs and climb ladders to significant heights.
Ability to perform work in confined spaces.
Ability to work in an environment with high dust levels.
Ability to meet requirements of PFT and fit testing, when applicable.
Ability to meet requirement of and utilize all applicable PPE, when applicable.
Ability to distinguish, with a degree of accuracy, differences or similarities in intensity or quality odors, or recognizing particular odors, using nose.
Ability to work extended hours, weekend, holidays and/or alternate shifts as needed.
Uses near, far and peripheral vision and depth perception for task(s) being performed; may need to be able to identify problems with grain.
The work environment described here are meant to be representative of those an employee would normally encounter while performing the essential functions of this job.
The physical environment requires the employee to work both inside and outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions. Frequently required to use personal protective equipment.
Travel, 5%-20% travel may be required at some facilities. This may include off-site training and/or work at alternate locations.
Are you ready to make a meaningful career move & an impact at ZGC? Apply today!
Known in our industry for stability and high ethics, Zen-Noh Grain Corporation offers a stellar benefits package including: an outstanding 401(k) retirement plan with company contributions, medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, life, & disability benefits, flexible spending accounts, paid leave (holidays, vacation, sick), wellness programs, recognition programs, community involvement opportunities, and much more!
Zen-Noh Grain Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. EEO is the Law links in English or Spanish.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this position. It should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
All Third Party Agencies, Headhunters, and Recruiters
Zen-Noh Grain Corporation and its Subsidiaries only forms contracts with recruiters with whom we have an established relationship and with whom we have in place a signed contract. All contact from third parties must go through our Human Resources Department. Any contact made outside of our Human Resources Department by a third party will cancel any future business relationships between the third party and Zen-Noh Grain Corporation and its Subsidiaries.
To learn more and apply for this position, click here.
Learn more about Consolidated Terminals here.