Benefits Specialist (Houston, TX)
Southern Towing Company is accepting applications for a Benefits Specialist in Houston, TX.
The minimum requirements for making an application for employment with Southern Towing Company are:
1. You must have a valid state driver’s license.
2. You must be able to read, write, and speak English.
3. Federal Law requires a DOT (Department of Transportation) drug screen as a condition of employment. A Licensed or Documented applicant who has a positive drug test must be reported to the nearest U.S. Coast Guard Office.
4. Federal law also requires that all new employees provide proof of identity and employment eligibility at the time of employment. You must be able to provide one of the following: a U.S. passport, a certificate of U.S. citizenship, a certificate of naturalization, an unexpired foreign passport with attached employment authorization, or an alien registration card with photograph. If you do not have any of the above documents, you will be required to provide both a driver’s license or state issued photo I.D. card and one of the following: an original social security card; a certified copy of your birth certificate; or an unexpired INS employment authorization.
This company is an equal opportunity employer. We do not tolerate discrimination in employment based on race, creed, color, national origin or sex. In addition, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 prohibits discrimination on the basis of age with respect to individuals who are at least 40 but less than 65 years of age. Also, the Americans with Disabilities Act prohibits job discrimination against qualified individuals with a disability.
The primary role of the Benefits Specialist is the administration of all benefits and retirement programs, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, and 401(k) plan. The Benefits Specialist will also coordinate with other members of the Human Resources department, current and potential employee benefit vendors, and strategic development team members on various projects to improve, implement and/or streamline benefit related operations.
- Ensures the accuracy of all benefits enrollments in the HRIS to provide vendors with accurate eligibility information.
- Assists with new-hire orientations.
- Performs reconciliation of benefits.
- Assists employees regarding benefits claim issues and plan changes.
- Distributes all benefits enrollment materials and determines eligibility.
- Enrolls employees with carriers and process life status changes.
- Responds to benefits inquiries from managers and employees on plan provisions, benefits enrollments, status changes and other general inquiries.
- Processes and administers all leave-of-absence requests and disability paperwork: medical, personal, disability and FMLA.
- Effectively interprets FMLA and ADA implications as they relate to leaves of absences/disabilities.
- Responds to 401(k) inquiries from managers and employees relating to enrollments, plan changes and contribution amounts. Manages the annual catch-up contribution enrollment.
- Assists with the open enrollment process.
- Provides necessary reports for allocation/billing charges.
- Additional tasks as directed by the Vice President, Human Resources
- Extensive knowledge of employee benefits and applicable laws.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or similar software.
- Ability to build consensus and relationships among managers, industry partners, and employees at all levels of the Company.
- Ability to travel; travel will be largely front end loaded during the onboarding process with up to 25% travel required in the first few months. After the initial onboarding period travel will reduce to ~15%.
- Eligible for employment in the United States without sponsorship.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in HR or related field.
- Minimum of four years’ experience in HR and/or benefits administration.
- SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP), preferred.
To learn more and apply for this position, click here.
Learn more about Southern Towing here.