The Missouri Department of Transportation is accepting applications for a Bridge Maintenance Worker (Springfield, MO)
The Maintenance Division is responsible for assisting and supporting maintenance activities for the preservation and operation of the state highway system. The maintenance worker performs duties related to the maintenance of the state's roadways and facilities.
This position is eligible for a temporary emergency operations adjustment of $3 to $6 per hour, depending on the area of operation, when handling winter/emergency operations activities.
MoDOT will bring candidates onto the team as entry-level, intermediate, or senior level, based on your skills and experience. If you are hired as an entry-level or intermediate Maintenance Worker, this opening is for one of our CAREER-LADDER positions which offers the opportunity for career advancement without having to participate in the competitive selection interview process. As you continue to learn, acquire new skills, and gain experience, you can be promoted to a higher-level position.
Positions are typically filled at a salary no higher than the identified midpoint/market level of a salary range.
Job Location: Springfield Regional Bridge Maintenance Facility
- Division: Maintenance
- Job Title Code: R01101 / R01106 / R01107
- Salary: $1642.65 / $1774.06 / $1915.98
- Hiring Supervisor: Jamie Sartin
- Closes on January 28, 2023
Why you’ll love this position: CLICK HERE TO WATCH YouTube PREVIEW
What you’ll do:
- Maintain state highway systems, including filling roadway joints and cracks and patching potholes; flagging and directing traffic; setting up signs, cones, arrow boards, and other traffic control devices; loading, unloading, spreading, and hauling materials and supplies; cutting and clearing brush; removing trash and debris from roadsides; cleaning and clearing ditches.
- Maintains, cleans, and repairs state highway facilities, including repairing and replacing road signs and guardrails; cleaning curbs and gutters; painting buildings and equipment; and servicing equipment and machinery.
- Operates vehicles to transport employees, equipment, machinery and/or materials, or to warn oncoming traffic, plow snow and spread ice control materials; mows right of way using tractor mower and hand tools; operates auger, trencher, backhoe, forklift, and various trucks (e.g., dump, aerial boom, bucket, and platform).
- May repair bridge decks (full and partial) and drains, and clean bridge bents/caps at heights on ladders or utilizing scaffolding.
- May install signs, including structural and large signs at overhead positions, inspect truss signs, pour concrete sign footings, weld and cut steel sign posts, and repair and maintain break-away and/or overlay signs.
All you need for success:
- High School Diploma or GED/HiSET
- Valid Driver's License
- A passing grade on the written portion of the commercial driver's license (CDL) exam is required prior to hire date. Within 60 days after being hired into this position, you must pass the driving portion of the CDL exam with tanker endorsement, no air brake restrictions (Class B), and interstate status (either Excepted Interstate [EI] or Non-Excepted Interstate [NI]).
- Successful completion of a medical-physical examination including drug test, and work simulation examination.
- Successful completion of a national background check.
Special Working Conditions:
- Job requires significant physical stamina and endurance, including the ability to move materials by hand, operate hand tools, and perform stationary flagging.
- Job requires outdoor work that involves exposure to physical hazards, health and safety risks, and/or adverse or otherwise undesirable characteristics in the environment, including risk of physical injury from carrying out duties in heavy traffic areas, on or near heavy equipment or machinery, and with hazardous chemicals or materials.
- Job may require overtime and nighttime work.
- Job may require operation of vehicles to plow snow and spread ice control materials.
More reasons to love this position:
MoDOT offers an excellent benefits package that includes a defined pension plan, generous amounts of leave and holiday time, and eligibility for health insurance coverage. Visit our CAREERS page to explore all we have to offer. Your total compensation is more than the dollars you receive in your paycheck. To help demonstrate the value of working for MoDOT, we have created an interactive Total Compensation Calculator. This tool provides a comprehensive view of benefits and more that are offered to prospective employees. The Total Compensation Calculator and other applicant resources can be found HERE.
At MoDOT you will play a key role in maintaining the seventh-largest highway system in the United States. We value team players who are open-minded and work well with others to accomplish goals and fulfill our mission of safety, service, and stability. We see the growth of our team members as an investment, both in MoDOT's future and yours. If you're looking for diverse opportunities, challenging work, and a flexible environment, we want to talk to you about joining our winning team. MoDOT operates on shared values and your success in our organization depends upon modeling these values. CLICK HERE to view our mission, values, and tangible results. If you embrace these values, we welcome your application.
If you have questions about this position please contact: Southwest District Human Resources
The State of Missouri is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.