Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Company is accepting applications for a Chief Engineer - Unlimited HP License (Oak Brook Terrace, IL; Houston, TX)
The Chief Engineer works on board a hopper dredge and has overall on-site responsibility and authority for the vessel’s engine department and maintenance of attendant plant. This is a management position responsible for the safe operation and maintenance of the dredging equipment; coordinating and assisting with repairs, scheduled and preventative maintenance; supervising the engine room crew and contracted repair / service crews.
The Chief Engineer is managed, assigned, and mentored by the Division Manager, the Division Dredge Manager and the Division Maintenance Managers. The Chief Engineer reports to the Captain and Dredge Manager while assigned to their respective vessel.
- Integrate and lead the Great Lakes’ Incident & Injury free safety culture in all vessels and engineering related operations.
- Directly supervise the day-to-day engine room operations and maintenance on the dredge and attendant plant.
- Oversee and manage activities of vendor repair crews on dredge and attendant plant.
- Manage the computer-based vessel level preventative maintenance management program (NS5), to include maintenance and inventory documentation and record keeping (training provided)
- Assign and supervise all activities of engine room crew
- Ensure proper orientation, familiarization and mentoring for new crew members. Evaluate performance of subordinates and recognize, develop and promote talented crewmembers.
- Mentor all crewmembers and promote safety awareness in all operations. Lead pre-shift meetings, Job Safety Analyses and safety “walk arounds” on the dredge and attendant vessels.
- Coordinate vessel maintenance operations with Captain and Project Management staff; coordinate and communicate equipment issues with the Division Dredge and Maintenance Managers.
- Conduct emergency drills as required by the US Coast Guard and keep accurate records.
- Ensures vessel meets all regulatory requirements and is properly prepared for agency inspections. (Coast Guard, class, load line)
- Must have Unlimited HP License
- Must have a valid COVID-19 vaccination.
- Eight or more years' experience in marine engineering, including supervisory experience; dredging experience a plus.
- Excellent safety, mechanical and leadership skills.
- Proficient computer skills and maintaining information data bases.
- Must have shipyard and/or vendor coordination experience.
- Working knowledge of electrical systems (i.e. motor controls, DC drives, circuits, etc.).
- USCG Licensed Chief Engineer of steam and/or motor vessels or bachelor’s degree in Marine Engineering preferred.
- Competitive salary with annual performance and salary reviews. Eligible for year-end bonus.
- 401(k) program through Fidelity Investments, includes 100% company matching of the first 6% of employee contributions; immediate vesting; and profit-sharing contributions by the company based on company’s annual performance.
- Medical, Dental, Prescription, Life and LTD insurance plans.
- Incentive pay for international assignments
- Living expenses paid on site include housing, transportation, and a per-diem.
GLDD is a COVID-19 vaccination work environment, and you will be required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination before you can access the company's office, yard, project sites, equipment or vessels.
Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, disability status, genetic information or any other protected category.
Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Company, LLC is the largest provider of dredging, land reclamation and beach nourishment services in the United States, and the only U.S. dredging company with significant international operations. With the largest and most diverse dredging fleet in the United States, Great Lakes serves a wide range of customers including the US Army Corps of Engineers, state, local and foreign governments, and private companies both international and domestic.
Headquartered in Houston, TX, GLDD has more than 200 pieces of ocean going, and inland dredging plant located strategically throughout North America and internationally.
Please click here to learn more or apply.
Learn more about Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Company here.