The Captain of the Port (COTP) is monitoring the progression of a tropical low-pressure system in the Gulf of Mexico. COTP Houston-Galveston strongly encourages all port partners and the maritime community to take prudent measures to ensure a high state of readiness, as track projections show potential impact to Southeast Texas and surrounding areas. National Weather Service is reporting the potential of high winds of 15 to 25 kts with gusts up to 35 to 40 knots and wave heights gradually building to 5 to 9 ft nearshore and 7 to 12 ft offshore throughout the next two days.
All vessels and facilities are encouraged to begin planning to take preventive measures in advance of the storm. Such measures may include the following:
• Safety measures should be taken to secure missile hazards, nonessential equipment, and loose gear.
• Container stacking protocols should be reviewed and implemented accordingly to predicted sustained winds by the National Weather Service.
• Oil transfer terminals should be prepared to drain all loading arms and hoses of product, blank off hoses, and empty/clean small discharge containment prior to storm arrival.
• Ensure that vessel moorings are adequate for the predicted wind and surge. Mooring lines ready to be doubled up with due consideration given effects of predicted storm surge. Consider leaving port if moorings are not adequate.
• Sufficient number of officers and crew onboard to tend mooring lines or get underway.
• Vessel ballasted to ensure maximum safety.
• All side ports, hatches, portholes, and other openings are closed and secured.
• A continuous radio watch maintained on VHF-FM Channel 16 and designated Vessel Traffic Service frequencies.
• Ensure that anchor and anchoring equipment is in good working condition.
• Spare mooring lines/and or wires should be inspected and made ready.
Additional guidance regarding this system may be issued in the form of further MSIBs, Broadcast Notice to Mariners, or other forms as necessary.
This MSIB will remain in effect until the passing of this system.
Any questions related to this MSIB can be directed to the Sector Command Center at