Hanson Professional Services is accepting applications for a Construction Observer (28 locations)
If you are looking for a unique opportunity to work in a variety of geographic areas throughout the continental United States, then this is the job for you. Hanson Professional Services Inc. is a dynamic, employee-owned consulting firm of more than 400 employees providing a full range of multi-disciplined engineering, scientific, and allied services throughout the USA.
At the core of our infrastructure discipline is the desire to be good stewards of the public’s resources while incorporating improvements into the surrounding environment. As engineering professionals, we plan, design and permit railway projects and observe construction efforts across the U.S. and abroad. Your work at Hanson will balance the societal benefits of the built environment with nature.
Hanson Professional Services Inc. is seeking a candidate to fill a Construction Observer position in the US for as needed projects.
As one of the Construction Observers for our Railway market, you’ll be part of a growing Hanson environment while working as part of a collaborative, experienced and diverse team. This position will be responsible for construction observation and contract administration for bridges, retaining walls, railways, storm and sanitary sewers, storm detention facilities, and ancillary facilities. Assignments will be typically range from several months to 2 or more years, with the subsequent opportunity for additional assignments on future Hanson projects.
A Day in Life of a Construction Observer at Hanson
A construction observer is responsible for the planning, organizing, directing, executing, and controlling/monitoring of the scope of services, budget, schedule, deliverables, and resources to accomplish the project objectives.
Here’s a snapshot of what you would do in this role:
- Review the site safety plan with respect to what construction activities will be on-going that day, and what Personal Protective Equipment you will need to work safely under those conditions.
- Lead or assist with on site or virtual progress meetings, and prepare meeting minutes
- Document which contractors are working on the site, and record the equipment and type and number of construction personnel working
- Coordinate survey work and materials testing
- Review and process construction pay applications
- Document the contract quantities of construction materials placed
- Communication w/ internal (Hanson) project team as well as associated design engineers, contractors and owner representatives regarding construction progress and any issues affecting schedule
- Assist with the effective resolution of contract problems, timely completion of contract documentation and ability to adjust to changes within established policies
- Coordination with the team for project changes and/or additions
- Preparing Work Change Directives and Change Orders
- Coordination of submittal and request for information (RFI) reviews and responses
What We’re Looking For
We feel the following qualifications would set you up for success in this role:
- Has demonstrated commitment to quality control procedures
- Represents owner in monitoring construction activities
- Ability to interpret plans and specifications
- Use of a computer including Microsoft Office and other business-based software
- Must be able to work independently and as a team member to problem solve and learn new technical skills
- Must have the desire to learn new skills
- Must be self-motivated
- Must possess good interpersonal communication skills
- High School Diploma/Equivalent: An associate degree from an accredited two-year civil engineering technology program or two years of college in pre-engineering or civil technology is preferred, plus:
- A minimum of 5 years of construction observation and contract administration experience with construction including roadways, bridges, embankment, etc. Experience in construction of railroad facilities including bridges, track & railyards is a plus.
- The ideal candidate will possess one or both of the following skills and experience:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year civil engineering program
- Demonstrated experience working on railway construction projects for Class 1 railroads
Our focus on people means we offer a generous benefits program to help you create a solid foundation for health and security throughout your career, including:
- Competitive compensation
- Performance bonuses
- 401(k) with matching contribution
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- Comprehensive health & well-being plans
- Financial wellness plans
- Work-life balance programs
Want to know more? Visit our benefits page for all the details.
We understand that selecting a job is about more than the day-to-day tasks. It’s important to feel like you belong and safe to grow and progress along your career path. You’ll find that at Hanson. We have an inclusive, diverse workforce awaiting to connect with you and numerous opportunities to cultivate your career, including:
- Monthly educational webinars
- Leadership training
- Lunch & learn development sessions
- 24/7 access to thousands of skill-building courses
- Mentorship opportunities
- Award-winning internship program
- Employee recognition
- And so much more!
As employers/governmental contractors, we comply with government regulations, including affirmative action responsibilities where they apply. To assist us in meeting our affirmative action goals, employees are encouraged to refer minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY — AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
EEO / MINORITY / FEMALE / INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES / VETERAN
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or agencies/staffing firms. Resumes are only accepted from recruiters and agency/staffing firms if a signed agreement is in place at the inception of the recruiting effort and authorized for a specified position.