Associated Terminals in Covent, LA is looking for a full-time deckhand with at least 1 year of similar experience in a maritime/ stevedoring environment.
. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for handling lines and cables in order to tie/untie crane rigs to and from barges/ vessels
- Inspect cables and various rigging components of the crane deck
- May perform minor maintenance on equipment and other machinery
- Responsible for providing directional signals to crane operators (Flagging)
- Responsible for lubrication of crane buckets
- Assist in the process of drafting barges
- Open/Closing barge covers; both lift and roll top covers
- General rigging and shifting of barges
- Sweep and clean decks, barges, and ship holds and ensure proper housekeeping standards
- Clear all walking areas of trip hazards and dangerous materials
- Clean excess oil/grease from equipment and work area
- Fuel Equipment and Crane as necessary
- Work with hand tools (shovels, sledgehammers, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.)
- Painting/Needle gunning and general upkeep of the crane rig
- Clean and maintain crane shack/quarters.
- Report ALL incidents through company’s reporting protocol
- Support company safety initiatives
- Demonstration of knowledge of all required competencies
- Perform other duties as required
- High school or equivalent (preferred)
SKILL/ KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS:
- Must be able to read/write/communicate in English
- Able to use basic math skills
- Must be able to follow directions
- Must be able to work rotational shift work
- Able to perform minor/routine maintenance on equipment and machinery
- Be physically fit to perform all essential physical demands of this job safely.
- Advocate of team concept
- Commitment to customer service
- Ability to work in a team-oriented environment
- Must comply with all operational directives and company policies
Incumbent will work in all weather conditions ranging from warm/hot-cool/cold as well as occasional rain. Will work at different elevations, noise levels will be moderate-high. Job site will contain light to heavy equipment vehicles, small to large equipment, materials, communication equipment, and tools. Rotational shift work required. Twelve or more hours per day spent in work environment.
The physical nature of the work will vary from day to day based on operational needs; however the job will require the incumbent to be able to perform: climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, typing, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing, and repetitive motion. Incumbent will also be required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) including, but not limited to: Hard Hat, eye wear, safety vests, gloves, masks/ respirators (when necessary) and steel-toe boots.
Very Heavy Work: Exerting in excess of 100 lbs. of force occasionally, and/ or in excess of 50 lbs. frequently, and/ or in excess of 20 lbs. of force constantly to move objects.
- TWIC (Required)
- Must pass pre-employment drug tests as well as random drug screening
To apply please copy and paste the below into your web browser: