Deckhand Dredging Crew (Jefferson City and Kansas City, MO)
Capital Sand Company is accepting applications for a Deckhand Dredging Crew (Jefferson City and Kansas City, MO)
Capital Sand Company is currently looking to fill several positions for experienced deckhands. These positions are responsible for handling lines and other equipment to secure the vessel and tow. The position will travel on a barge through Washington, Jefferson City, Glasgow, Lexington/KC area, and many other locations.
The position requires the ability to work a rotating schedule. Primarily 5days/week and 12-hour shifts. Some weekends as needed. Flexibility is necessary.
- Assist boat Captain with lookout/navigation and maintain watch on deck, calling distances, securing tow.
- Handles ropes and cables to make tow/break tow of barges to tow boat, dredge or secure in fleet.
- Perform general labor to assist boat Captain with general maintenance of vessels; oil changes, servicing of deck equipment (winches ratchets, water pumps, etc.)
- Perform general labor to assist dredge operator with general maintenance; oil changes, servicing of deck equipment (winches ratchets, water pumps, etc.), dredge pump maintenance, screen changes.
- Cleans debris from deck of barges, tow boat and dredge.
- Maintains cleanliness and organization of the interior and exterior of dredge or tow boat, such as clean galley, clean engine room, maintain clear walking paths on vessels.
- Paint and chipping of boats, dredges, decks and superstructure of vessels to maintain a nice appearance.
- Assist with shift inspections of vessels.
- Build and assemble tow.
- Participates in safety training, drills, and meetings to ensure overall vessel and crew safety.
- Assists with fueling dredge and tow boat.
- Observe and comply with all company safety policies and procedures and U.S. Coast Guard requirements.
- Suggest corrective action to improve plant and equipment performance and assist with implementation.
- Work in a constant state of alertness and in a safe manner.
- Cross training and learn the other job functions within the dredging crew. This allows for the crew members to have a variety of job functions throughout the day/week.
- Performs other duties as directed.
- At least 1 year of previous deckhand experience on inland rivers (preferred)
- Perform maintenance on equipment, as needed.
- Frequent standing, walking, bending over, climbing, reaching overhead, kneeling, balancing, pushing or pulling, talking/communication, repetitive use of legs, lifting up to 50 lbs., carrying up to 75 lbs., eye/hand coordination.
- Valid driver’s license (preferred)
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Must be willing to do overnight travel.
- Must pass a pre-physical, drug test/alcohol screen, and background check.
- Strong work ethic and proven track record
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Must be willing to work overtime.
- Ability to read and understand the English language.
- Not afraid of working on/around water.
- Training or working knowledge of MSHA and Coast Guard regulations a plus.
- Welding experience a plus
- Mechanical experience a plus
This is a full-time, benefits eligible position. We offer competitive wages and great employee benefits including health, dental, and vision insurance, 401(k) plan, life insurance and short and long-term disability.
Capital will give consideration for employment without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.
Please click here to learn more or apply.
Learn more about Capital Sand Company here.