Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Company LLC is accepting applications for a Director of Risk Management in Houston, TX.
About the Company:
Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Corporation is the largest provider of dredging, land reclamation and beach nourishment services in the United States, and the only U.S. dredging company with international operations. With the largest and most diverse dredging fleet in the US, Great Lakes serves a wide range of customers including the US Army Corps of Engineers; state, local and foreign governments; and private companies both international and domestic. Headquartered in Houston, TX GLDD has more than 200 pieces of dredging plant located strategically throughout North America and in various locations throughout the world.
We are currently seeking a Risk Manager to join our team!
The Risk Manager is responsible for the overall supervision and management of GLDD’s marine insurance program and property & casualty insurance programs including establishing standards and specifications for insurance coverage and overseeing the solicitation of proposals for required programs. Position also obtains the necessary insurance and vessel certificates required by State and local laws. They will oversee all programs, policies, and procedures concerning risk management, loss prevention and claims management and coordinate, implement and administer these programs to assure objectives are attained. The Risk Managmer works closely with the CFO, Director of Safety, Legal, and Human Resources to execute these responsibilities.
- Conducts self in an appropriate manner as a representative of GLDD, working effectively in a diverse work environment.
- Manages relationships with relevant Brokers and underwriters for coverages and endorsements.
- Reviews and determines all risks of loss to which GLDD’s assets are or may become exposed and analyze such risks to determine how they can be eliminated, controlled, minimized, assumed or insured.
- Partners with the team who coordinates with employees and safety after an injury occurs interacting with appropriate underwriters during the process.
- Work closely with the legal department related to any claims that result in legal action.
- Approve dollar reserves for marine and non-marine property & liability and other claims exposures. Authorizes payment of claims up to approved limits. Coordinates payment process between Accounting and TPA.
- Conducts periodic surveys and studies on trends in the insurance industry and recommends changes and improvements in the program from both a cost and protection standpoint.
- Prepares and monitors the annual budget for the Risk Management Department
- Collects, consolidates, and analyzes accident/incident data in order to project GLDD’s exposure within program retentions and analyzes cost/benefit of various S.I.R./deductible programs.
- Represents the company in certain hearings, meetings, arbitrations and conferences. Presents testimony at such events as needed.
- Conduct contract reviews to assure the company is in compliance with insurance requirements.
- Coordinates all risk and claims activity with the Legal Department for proper compliance with laws and regulations.
- Interacts with each department to gather relevant facts that ensure all exposures to risk of loss are considered and provided for at the best cost-to-risk ratio possible.
- Maintains Sharepoint page on company website
- Responsible for acquiring the renewal info in order to prepare policy applications for all applicable coverages for various renewal dates
- Reviews certs from vendors, requests cert from broker in conjunction with contract requirements, maintains database of certs
- Prepares claim notice submissions for underwriters.
- Prepares recovery submissions for claims over SIR.
- Day to day handling of all Property, USL&H, state-based work comp and auto claims
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in business administration, risk management, insurance, finance or related field.
- Five (5) years experience in a risk management role with a marine background.
- Three (3) years experience adjusting claims
- In depth knowledge of applicable laws including Jones Act, liability law, tort law, insurance law, and workers’ compensation law.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate.
- Ability to use good judgment in the investigation, analysis, and evaluation of claims.
- Demonstrated ability to apply investigation methodology.
- Knowledge of and ability to use effective supervisory techniques.
- Ability to effectively manage the workload including organizing, prioritizing, meeting deadlines, and responding to changing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a changing environment.
- Competitive salary and bonus program.
- 401(k) program that includes 100% company matching of the first 6% of employee contributions with immediate vesting.
- Annual profit-sharing contributions by the company to participants’ 401(k) accounts based on company’s annual performance.
- Medical, Dental, Prescription, Life and Disability insurance plans.
To learn more and apply for this position, click here.
Learn more about Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Company LLC here.