Drafting and Mapping Supervisor
DEPARTMENT: Engineering Services Department
This is skilled technical work in drafting and execution of standardized designs using computer aided design and drafting software and equipment. An employee in this class prepares clear and accurate working plans and detailed drawings from rough or detailed sketches or notes for varied engineering, surveying, mapping, and other purposes. Work requires knowledge of engineering practices and mathematics, as well as knowledge of various public works or utilities facilities and structural materials. Work includes supervision of other drafting personnel.
- Perform detailed drafting of utilities, mechanical and structural layouts; computes and drafts work involved in checking and reducing field survey notes, calculating distances, angles, and areas.
- Prepares various drawings from field notes; reduces field notes; plots and checks center lines and cross sections; uses planimeter or other tools to make engineering measurements, and makes less technical computations.
- Makes or corrects topographic maps from aerial photos; plots contour lines, transfers parts of entire topographic drawing to the same or different scales.
- Prepares drawings from written descriptions and maintains orderly files of completed drawings; plots field information on plan and profile drawings.
- Prepares and maintains necessary maps, records and logs of Port facilities, infrastructure, leases, etc.; supplies engineers, surveyors, contractors; property lessees and the general public with requested information.
- Performs related work as required.
Work Conditions & Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
The above duties may not be performed in every position with this title and the above functions may not include all related duties that might be performed.
The Port of Brownsville is an equal opportunity, affirmative action organization. The Port of Brownsville prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.