OmniTRAX is accepting applications for an Engineer/Conductor (Cleveland, OH)
OmniTRAX is the second-largest private management company of short-line railroads in North America with expertise in simplifying the entire process of shipping by rail. We call it Rail Made Easy. OmniTRAX is a complete shipping partner, using railroads, ports, transloading, logistics, warehousing, and industrial development to help businesses move their products conveniently and efficiently, whether their final destination is across the city or across the world.
$5,000 Sign-on bonus available!
OmniTRAX is looking to hire a Engineer/Conductor to join our dynamic team of employees in a fast-growing, fast-paced work environment.
The Engineer/Conductor oversees the train, freight and crew: operates track switches, couples and uncouples cars and places cars to facilitate loading and unloading, places cars and engines in rail yards and on the main railroad. Receives, relays, or acts upon oral, written, or radio instructions from dispatcher, yardmaster, or other personnel indicating the switch movement, placement, or delivery of railroad cars and/or a train. Performs work safely, effectively and efficiently in accordance with company policies and procedures, and Federal Railroad Association rules and regulations to meet company objectives.
The Conductor demonstrates and adheres to the company values of: safety, honesty, ownership, respect and teamwork to ensure successful partnership with customers and employees that result in OmniTRAX’s continued success.
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt, Eligible for Overtime
- Eligible for Participation - Annual Discretionary Bonus
- Fulfilling a role in an industry that keeps this country running isn’t the only reason to work for OmniTRAX. We offer competitive benefits including medical, dental, vision, short-term and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, vacation, sick days, holidays, a 401(k) retirement plan with a match, and other voluntary benefits
- Ensure compliance with all railroad rules and regulations for safety, operation and the Federal Railroad Association (FRA)
- Move trains safely in the yards and over roads
- Operate track switches, inspect equipment on cars and use radio communications to control train movement
- Assist and instruct train crews to couple and uncouple cars, operate switches and make minor repairs to railcars: including replacing heavy couplings or air brake hoses
- Maintain awareness of surrounding area and suspicious activity to ensure rail safety
- Review instructions from Trainmaster and discuss with Locomotive Engineer and train crew
- Coordinate execution of railcar switch list
- Communicate with Locomotive Engineer and other parties in the yard using proper hand signals and/or radio communication protocol
- Conduct the movement of rail cars and train movements; signal crew member(s) for movement of the engine or train using lantern, hand and flag signals, or radio to indicate when to start, stop, and back-up or set and release air brakes
- Observe, interpret, and relay arm, lantern, or radio signals and all other indications affecting movement of a train
- Operate track switches (visually checks switch condition and direction) to change the direction of the engine or cars within yard limits or on the main railroad; may apply or release hand brakes to switch or perform other duties
- Read and understand the book of rules, timetables, bulletins, train orders, waybills, placards, safety instructions, and other written or printed material
- Prepare required daily reports, switch lists (manually or with a computer), and fill out forms including train orders
- Inspect the condition of the train and equipment in movement and while stationary
- May couple air and electrical connections between locomotives when making up trains
- Judge speed and distance of moving objects or parts
- Recall information required from work activity
- Report to work as called on a 24-hour schedule
- Work safely to prevent on the job accidents and injuries
- Wear required protective equipment such as: hard hats, hearing protection, safety-toe boots or safety glasses
- Work hours may include a nonstandard workweek, overtime and various shift work
- Perform other duties and projects as assigned
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- High School Diploma/GED
- Aptitude in the Transportation field and desire to learn
- Execute exceptional sound judgment when complying and interrupting railroad rules, regulations and instructions and complying with FRA that apply to operations of trains
- Pass job and health related examinations including: operating rules examination, vision and hearing test
- Basic computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite
- Write legibly to complete routine reports and other company documents
- Effectively communicate and demonstrate interpersonal skills with all level of employees, and business associates in a clear concise and professional manner
- Demonstrate problem solving and troubleshooting skills resulting in effective resolution on routinely programmed work
- Professional integrity and accountability
- Work in fast-paced, collaborative environment
REQUIRED CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSES
- Valid State Driver’s License
- FRA Conductor Certification: required post hire
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Previous experience in Rail Transportation, Supply Chain Logistics, Manufacturing and/or Oil & Gas industries
PREFERRED CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSES
- FRA Engineer Certification
- Exposure to hot, cold, wet, humid, or windy conditions caused by the weather including: (snow, rain, heat, and sub-freezing temps; loud noise and fumes from gas, oil and grease.
Daily travel as business requires during scheduled work hours
OmniTRAX is committed to the safety and health of its employees and the general public. All new hires are required to successfully complete a post-offer employment test which includes a medical and physical evaluation related to the physical requirements and the essential functions of the job, as well as a drug screen and criminal background check.
OmniTRAX is proud to be an EEO/Veteran/Disability employer.
OmniTRAX is committed to protecting its employees and our communities from COVID-19. COVID-19 vaccination is preferred.