The Port of South Louisiana is accepting applications for Executive Director (LaPlace, LA)
ABOUT AND HISTORY OF PORT OF SOUTH LOUISIANA
The Port of South Louisiana (PSL) is seeking its next Executive Director to continue promoting maritime commerce, trade and development in the Port’s jurisdiction of 54 miles of the Mississippi River through the Parishes of St. Charles, St. James and St. John the Baptist.
The Executive Director reports to a 9-member diverse Board of Commissioners and possesses overall responsibility for the direction and management of the day-to-day business operations of the port.
The Port of South Louisiana’s mission is to continue promoting maritime commerce, trade and development. Establish public/private partnerships for the creation of intermodal terminal and industrial facilities.
The Port of South Louisiana is a political subdivision of the State of Louisiana that was established in 1960 by the State of Louisiana (R.S. 34:2471 thru R.S. 34:2477). PSL has been granted broad governmental and business enterprise powers for the purpose of promoting economic development and job creation. The most important of these powers are:
· To acquire, own, construct, redevelop, lease, maintain commercial and mixed-use development, industrial parks and facilities and terminals, and other types of port facilities.
· To promote and expand river throughput of cargo and freight.
· To promote the full integration of multi-modal transportation assets to increase commercial opportunities locally, nationally and internationally.
The Port of South Louisiana received national ranking in the following categories:
· #1 Grain Exporter
· #1 Tonnage Port from 2013-2018 with record breaking years in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 & 2017
· #1 Foreign Trade Zone in Merchandise Received
· #2 Energy Transfer Port
For more information about the Port of South Louisiana visit: https://portsl.com
· Provide strategic vision and leadership to the Port of South Louisiana
· Lead, facilitate and collaborate on key industry and organizational initiatives including long range plans, project development opportunities, key partnerships and business relationships, multicultural developments, national and regional branding
· Directly manage, coach and develop the Port of South Louisiana team
· Establish leasing and development goals and oversee operations, and marketing initiatives
· Represent PSL and overall port industry to community leadership to ensure support for important projects
· Develop and maintain effective organizational policies and ensure all PSL activities are implemented within the established policies, guidelines, laws and ethical standards.
· Advise the Board Chair and Board of Commissioners. Attend meetings of the membership, Board and other designated committees
· Oversee the PSL financial function in the preparation of financial reports, annual budget and annual audit reports for recommendation to the Board.
· Develop Public Private Partnerships
· Knowledge of state and federal legislative proposals which might affect PSL’s interest
· Available to travel on behalf of the PSL both domestically and internationally
· The PSL Commission reserves the right to amend or change the Executive Director’s Job Description based on the business requirements of the Port
· Bachelor’s in Public Administration, Business, Finance, Engineering, or (equivalent) related field; MBA preferred
· Ten plus years in maritime executive management (or closely related experience) with strong skills relating to the ability to develop and administer port policies and procedures, ability to create a positive work environment
· Experience working with boards and developing relationships with multiple and diverse stakeholder groups including various government entities.
· Experience in implementing successful national and regional partnership programs
· Understanding of economic development and the impact on communities
· Prior experience of managing budgets of $5 million or more
· Proven experience developing and executing strategic marketing plans
· Champion personal leadership characteristics that include communication and organizational skills
· Maintain a commitment to professionalism, excellence and integrity
· A team leader who works well in a diverse management environment
· Very comfortable working with government officials
· A strategic thinker, who is an exceptional consensus builder, tech savvy and a positive collaborator
· An individual with a high likeability factor who is personable, confident and humble
· A leader with strong problem-solving skills who possesses a desire and willingness to learn
· Dynamic, visionary and innovate thinker
1. Establish relevant relationships with PSL commissioners, PSL staff, stakeholders, industry leaders and government officials; maintain effective on-going communication
2. Lead the current business plan and develop short-term and long-term goals for PSL
3. Develop a high-profile presence in the Port jurisdiction community
4. Build national and international business development reputation
Interested and qualified candidates must apply on or before Friday, October 1, 2021. The Port reserves the right to extend the closing date without notice to accept additional applications.