External Logistics Specialist (Newport News, VA)
The External Logistics Specialist works on global logistics, IT or organization projects and is responsible for the implementation, follow-up and results; ensures a cross function for External Logistics and Transport for Liebherr Mining factories and affiliates worldwide; responsible for the day-to-day relationships (internal or external) of the department (communications, presentations, information...).
- Review or update supply chain practices in accordance with new or changing environmental policies, standards, regulations, or laws.
- Study transportation routes to maximize economy by combining shipments or consolidating warehousing and distribution.
- Diagram supply chain models to help facilitate discussions with customers.
- Negotiate prices and terms with service providers such as freight forwarders, integrators, carriers, logistics partners.
- Monitor supplier performance to assess ability to meet quality and delivery requirements.
- Monitor forecasts and quotas to identify changes or to determine their effect on supply chain activities.
- Meet with service providers to discuss performance metrics, to provide performance feedback
- Implement new or improved supply chain processes.
- Collaborate with other departments, such as procurement, engineering, and quality assurance, to identify or qualify new suppliers.
- Develop or implement procedures or systems to evaluate or select service providers.
- Analyze information about supplier performance or procurement program success.
- Document physical supply chain processes, such as workflows, cycle times, position responsibilities, or system flows.
- Design or implement supply chains that support business strategies adapted to changing market conditions, new business opportunities, or cost reduction strategies.
- Design, implement, or oversee product take back or reverse logistics programs
- Evaluate and select information or other technology solutions to improve tracking and reporting of materials or products distribution or storage.
- Keep a critical point of view on what is existing and do not hesitate to call it into question
- Ensure the continuous improvement of the department and bring forward the needs to his/her manager.
- Be the interface between the company and external service providers.
- Define, follow and analyze the Key performance indicators with management.
- Manage projects with fundamental project management tools: Gantt diagrams, QCDA, etc...
- Bachelor Degree in Logistics or relevant degree plus 3 years work experience: or a combination of education and experience equivalent to 6 years related experience.
- Knowledge of the supply chain and its environment (regulations and logistics stakeholders).
- Knowledge of the components of an Off-Highway Truck.
- Computing skills: MS Office, Internet, ERP such as BaaN, LN or SAP R3.
- Knowledge of international rules and specificities of each transport mode.
- Knowledge of international trade documents (e.g. INCOTERMS, letter of credit).
- Knowledge of customs rules.
- Highly proficient with fundamental project management tools.
- Experience in transport management tools.
- Ability to speak and write in Spanish is a plus, but not mandatory.
- Travel domestically and internationally up to 20% of the time.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid driver’s license and passport.
The Liebherr Group has a decentralized organizational structure and comprises eleven product divisions. The highest level of management within the Group is a shareholders’ committee made up exclusively of members of the Liebherr family. Liebherr shapes technological advances in many areas. The eleven divisions of the Liebherr Group and the wide product range are the result of decades of experience and in-depth expert knowledge. The exchange of know-how and information between the product divisions promotes innovative ideas and cross-industry developments.
For more information and to apply for this position: