We have an exciting opportunity for a Field Engineering Specialist to perform routine engineering detail and field work under general supervision, ensuring work orders are complete and all requirements are met; assist in selecting cost effective and safe project designs; serve as a primary customer contact for assigned communities regarding new or changes to existing electric and/or gas systems.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Field Engineering Specialist (may be filled at a higher level) to work on large projects enhancing our gas systems. This position will be based in one of the following locations: Washington, IA or Centerville, IA.
The Field Engineering Specialist will support large gas projects within our communities in Iowa where they will design rebuilds and new gas distribution systems. You will communicate regularly with internal and external customers regarding changes to the gas distribution systems and project timelines.
We are looking for an individual who has relevant experience such as: electrical, plumbing, HVAC, surveying, excavation, residential/commercial construction, public/private utility work.
Comments from our current Field Engineering Specialists:
- Great Place to work
- Team is terrific
- Work both inside & outside
- Pay and benefits are great
- Advancement opportunities
Alliant Energy will not provide sponsorship for an employment visa (e.g., H-1B visa) now or in the future for this position.
- Handles routine customer inquiries and engineering detail using standard operating procedures involving tariff application, extension rules and agreements, service rules, code requirements, service entrance, and metering requirements.
- May be responsible for emergency response in assigned processes.
- Assists in detail planning for work orders including as-builts, preparing estimates and work orders, preparing necessary maps and sketches, closing work orders, preparing material lists, ensures accuracy of sag calculations, and switching/valve sequence planning.
- Performs a variety of routine field work including, but not limited to locating and sizing services, load determination, distribution easements, staking, and survey work of moderate difficulty, field checks, licenses and joint use applications while adhering to regulatory requirements.
- Tracks and reports work related functions necessary to support the business processes including creating work requests, CIS transactions, and establishing projects in work management, GIS/Mapping System, and various other systems.
- Provide technical support for work requests, resolves technical issues, and ensures crews understand work scope, detail, and structure.
- Works with hourly and salaried supervisors in scheduling work for others.
- Assists distribution engineering in development of project scopes and schedules using project management concepts and software.
- May require travel and overnight stay as workload dictates.
- All other duties as assigned
- Education or experience equivalent to a two year degree from an accredited college or university.
- A minimum of zero to two years technical and/or professional experience.
- Good knowledge of math, physics and construction practices.
- Ability to comprehend design and work packaging standards, federal/state regulations.
- Ability to comprehend gas and electric codes, OSHA rules, DOT requirements.
- Ability to comprehend utility construction equipment, project management, and material procurement processes.
- Good survey and drafting skills.
- Basic financial analysis knowledge.
- Basic mechanical skills gained through training or job experience.
- Demonstrated ability to use computer software programs (e.g., e-mail, word processing, spreadsheet, and project management).
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Able to become qualified in electrical operations switching, gas operations, and gas emergency procedures within three years.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to work in a diverse work environment.
- Primary residence must be within a reasonable distance of designated headquarters and within 40 minutes of an operating center in the zone(s) for which employee is responsible.
*Note: For positions located within company territory that supply natural gas to customers, this job is covered by the Department of Transportation regulations on drug and alcohol testing (CFR 49, Parts 40 and 199), and is subject to drug testing according to said regulations.
*Note: All candidates selected for employment with Alliant Energy will be required to successfully complete a drug screen and background check.
We are committed to providing an inclusive work environment for all and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer M/F/Disability/Protected Veteran.
Disclaimer: The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
To apply for this challenging opportunity, please complete our online application at www.alliantenergy.com/careers.