Cummins Sales & Service is accepting applications for a Field Service Diesel Engine Technician (Anchorage, AK; Downey and Fresno, CA; Colorado Springs and Grand Junction, CO; Morgan City, LA; Glen Burnie, MD; Elko and Sparks, NV; Oklahoma City and Tulsa, OK; Memphis, TN; Corpus Christi, Dallas, Odessa, and San Antonio, TX; West Valley City, UT; Everett, WA; Gillette and Rock Springs, WY)
In this role, you will make an impact in the following ways:
- Complete troubleshooting, repairs and rebuilds on engine products and other customer equipment in a service shop.
- Perform preventative maintenance based on assessment of engines, including utilizing computers/software in the process of diagnostic work.
- Apply documented procedures and policies to complete complex repairs, including identifying and preparing required parts and tools.
- Completing required documentation, such as work completed documents, time sheets, warranty claims, quality documents via handwritten forms or business system input screens.
- Ongoing training and additional certifications on new and existing Cummins products.
- Adhere to all our relevant Health, Safety & Environmental policies, procedures and legislation and reports any issues / incidents to their supervisor.
To be successful in this role you will need the following:
- (Entry) Technician Level I:Limited relevant technician experience; qualified to perform work on a minimal number of products in-scope for a diesel technician at this location; primarily engaged in maintenance or basic repairs/diagnostics; requires direct supervision and review of workmanship quality.
- (Intermediate) Technician Level II:Some relevant technician experience; qualified to perform work on an intermediate number of products in-scope for a diesel technician at this location; primarily engaged in moderately complex maintenance and repair; some exposure to moderate or complex diagnostics, requires limited direct supervision, may provide basic training or guidance to new technicians.
- (Advanced) Technician Level III: Significant relevant technician experience; qualified to perform work on most or all of products in-scope for a technician at this location; frequently engaged in complex diagnosis and repair; requires minimal to no supervision; ability to effectively train and guide less experienced technicians of varying skillsets.
- T he ability to obtain a CDL may be required. A DMV driving report will be required.
Compensation and Benefits
Base salary rate commensurate with experience. Additional benefits vary between locations and include options such as our 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan, Cash Balance Pension Plan, Medical/Dental/Life Insurance, Health Savings Account, Domestic Partners Coverage and a full complement of personal and professional benefits.
Communicates effectively - Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
Manages complexity - Making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
Customer focus - Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
Develops talent - Developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
Self-development - Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using both formal and informal development channels.
Service Documentation - Creates and verifies customer, equipment and technical information; captures specific data using required service tools; follows procedures and documents required information in the service management system in order to have an accurate record of the work done.
Technical Escalation - Obtains product technical issue information and utilizes available resources including data management tools; elevates issues to a higher level of expertise, balancing timeliness of customer response with investigation efforts; captures all troubleshooting steps in the appropriate database in order to ensure seamless transitions and accurate response to ticket resolution in a timely manner.
Diagnostics Application - Translates customer complaints to develop troubleshooting plan; troubleshoots issue following guided work flows, procedures, specialized equipment such as mechanical and electronic service tools, and diagnoses computer software to isolate failed components to enable a successful repair; validates repair by duplicating complaint to ensure it has been resolved; documents results of troubleshooting in business systems to communicate what has been done for payment and historical tracking.
Electronic Service Tool Application - Identifies the suite of available hardware and software tools required for a service event; utilizes the appropriate electronic tool set to maintain the product or diagnose and troubleshoot an issue; interprets electronic tool results or recommendations to determine next steps for service resolution.
Product Repair and Maintenance - Repairs and maintains mechanical/electrical products following guidelines, using required tools within standard repair time to ensure a quality repair; disassembles and assembles engines or power generators following guidelines, using required tools to ensure a clean and organized environment; inspects and replaces parts and components following re-use guidelines to minimize customers cost of ownership; performs progressive damage check following guidelines to restore to pre-failure condition.
Engine Systems Interactions - Interprets and analyzes the interactions of internal and external electrical and mechanical systems (exhaust, heating, cooling, fuel systems, driveline, aftertreatment, controls, sensors, etc.) by applying tools, service publications (Cummins, Original Equipment Manufacturer) and taking measurements to efficiently and correctly diagnose and repair.
Health and Safety Fundamentals - Champions and models proactive health and safety behaviors by identifying, reporting and participating in actions to improve health and safety in order to build an interdependent culture and contribute to an injury-free workplace.
Education, Licenses, Certifications
Apprentice Trained Engine Technician (Preferred)
Vocational diploma from relevant technical institution
Locally valid driving permit
This position may require licensing for compliance with export controls or sanctions regulations.
Basic level field service work experience
Intermediate level knowledge of and/or experience with engine products
Customer service experience
This position requires a technical/trade school degree from an accredited program or equivalent work experience.
The level for this position will be based on the candidate’s qualifications and skill set. Qualifications for different technician levels:
o Technician Level I: Limited relevant technician experience; qualified to perform work on a minimal number of products in-scope for technician at this location; primarily engaged in maintenance or basic repairs/diagnostics; requires direct supervision and review of workmanship quality.
o Technician Level II: Some relevant technician experience; qualified to perform work on an intermediate number of products in-scope for technician at this location; primarily engaged in moderately complex maintenance and repair; some exposure to moderate or complex diagnostics, requires limited direct supervision, may provide basic training or guidance to new technicians.
o Technician Level III: Significant relevant technician experience; qualified to perform work on most or all of products in-scope for technician at this location; frequently engaged in complex diagnosis and repair; requires minimal to no supervision; ability to effectively train and guide less experienced technicians of varying skillsets.
This position will require a Med-Card and we will also be required to complete a DMV driving report.
Cummins and E-verify
At Cummins, we are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity in the workplace. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law. Cummins validates right to work using E-Verify. Cummins will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Our culture believes in POWERING YOUR POTENTIAL. We provide global opportunities to develop your career, make your community a better place and work with today’s most innovative thinkers to solve the world’s toughest problems. We believe in flexibility for you to explore your passions while making an impact through meaningful work within our inclusive workforce. That’s what #LifeAtCummins is all about.
Cummins has a strong marine heritage dating back to the company’s start in 1919. More than 90 years later, Cummins continues its legacy of providing reliable, durable diesels to the marine market with a broad range of power for commercial applications.
For more information and to apply for this position click here.