Field Tech Sr
Posted: July 15, 2019
Dallas, TX, USA
Trinity River Authority is one of the largest river authorities in Texas, where we enjoy a dynamic and exciting work environment that takes pride in providing safe, clean water to more than 60 cities along the Trinity River Basin. TRA offers a competitive starting salary range, along with a comprehensive benefits package including insurance programs, savings programs, paid time off and holidays. Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. TRA is an equal opportunity employer.
This position, under the direction of an inspector, is responsible for the performance of routine surveillance, monitoring and maintenance of the collection system interceptors, points of entry, metering stations and various industrial sources. Maintains and calibrates field monitoring equipment and investigates system problems related to industrial and municipal waste discharges. Requires specialized knowledge of and experience with collection system operations and maintenance procedures. Provides instruction to subordinates.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Responsible for proper methodology, field testing, sample handling and chain-of-custody records required in collecting and transporting samples.
2. Responsible for maintaining, calibrating and installing automatic sampling and monitoring equipment and portable flow measuring devices for collecting flow data for preparing flow proportional composite samples.
3. Responsible for monitoring and surveillance activities of the collection system which may include visual inspections, internal television inspections, smoke testing and inspections of the collection system conditions for compliance with regulations. Investigate possible changes to facilities.
4. Investigates reports and identifies possible causes of potential problem areas and unusual or accidental spills and discharges into the collection system or receiving streams which may damage and/or interfere with the wastewater collection system, treatment process or biosolids utilization.
5. Performs various assigned routine maintenance and field tasks, such as the cleaning and removal of line blockages, replacing manhole ring/covers and system repair duties.
6. Responsible for the appearance/operation of assigned equipment/vehicles.
7. Assists metering, collection system repair crew, customer cities, engineering firms and contractors in the location and verification of Authority facilities.
8. Maintains daily logs, preventive maintenance schedules, analysis reports, work orders, and inspection reports. Performs various tasks which require mathematical calculations and a working knowledge of system drawings and location maps.
10. Observes safe work practices and promotes safety through training and the proper use of safety equipment and procedures.
11. Directly supervises a group of Field Technicians to include training, scheduling and performance evaluation.
May order supplies, equipment parts, materials and equipment for department use as approved by supervisor.
High school diploma or GED, sixty college credit hours preferred.
(minimum years and types of related experience required)
Three years of experience in related water/wastewater collection system and 100 hours of approved training credits. Training credits must include Basic Wastewater, Collection Systems and Wastewater Laboratory.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
(any specialized certifications licenses or registrations required by TRA or other authority in order to do the job, including those the incumbent must be able to obtain)
Valid Texas driver's license. Ability to obtain a Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (or predecessor agency) Wastewater Collection System Class II Certificate of Competency (Class B preferred) with adequate training. Must acquire PACP Certification.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
(developed capability to use or apply knowledge effectively or dexterity/coordination in the performance of physical tasks)
Completion of Risk Management training, Emergency Response training, Confined Space training, and renewal training as required.
Receives periodic supervision and uses guidelines/range of procedures. Follows periodic direct instructions and guidelines, uses policies and procedures that require some interpretation. Problems that cannot be addressed through an existing guideline, policy or procedure are referred to supervisor or more senior position. Incumbent must exercise judgment about whether to escalate issues.
This position requires moderate physical exertion with daily lifting requirements of up to 25 pounds and lifting of up to 60 pounds on occasion.
Working hours may vary according to needs. Working conditions include exposure to weather, odor, chemical hazards, gases and dust.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Hand tools, mechanical and automatic sampling equipment, cameras, testing equipment, smoke blowers, TV inspection equipment, safety equipment, pick-up truck and standard construction equipment.
Apply by clicking here