This position is primarily responsible to prepare barges assigned to a towboat for safe and timely transport. Performs tasks associated with building and breaking tow, as well as towboat and barge maintenance. Performs tasks in all weather conditions both outside and in the confines of the vessel while navigating the inland waterway systems. Work is performed on rotating shifts (8 days on / 4 days off) with a twelve-hour schedule. Must live within 45 minutes of Cairo, IL.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Build and break tow. Tow may attach/detach 5 to 35 barges depending on river system worked
- Inspect, correct or notify others of any conditions which affect safety of people or cargo
- Handle rigging during tow building, locking and docking activities
- Assist in loading or unloading materials and supplies to and from docks, barges and boats
- Examine cables, wires, and lines to insure they are fit for use. Use tools to tighten or loosen same as needed
- Effectively handle tow wires and cables to secure barges in safe and environmentally appropriately fashion
- Perform basic vessel maintenance such as painting, cleaning, changing oil and filters
As a leader in inland barge transportation, ACBL moves the grain, dry bulk and liquid commodities relied upon by consumers, businesses and industries every day. They provide a wide array of barging solutions to meet the transportation needs and flexibility required to support a variety of businesses. With one of the nation’s largest and newest inland river barge fleets, ACBL operates the safest, most reliable and efficient equipment for transporting cargoes along 7,200 miles of U.S. inland waterways. With a fully integrated network, they provide transloading, warehousing, storage and fleeting services to support barge transportation throughout the Mississippi River System and its tributaries.
To learn more and apply for this position: