Thank you for your interest in joining our team!
Cooper Consolidated is a balanced, asset-based provider of midstream stevedoring, barge, marine, and logistics services. With operations based along the lower Mississippi River between Southwest Pass and Baton Rouge, we provide cargo handling and movements throughout the U.S. inland waterway system. Our expert team ensures your important cargo is safely transported from origin to destination while making the experience as easy and worry-free as possible.
At Cooper Consolidated, our goal is to be the leader in the cargo handling industry. The key to this rests squarely with our people, and the backbone of how our people operate is our unique culture. The CC Way - 28 principles of our high-performing culture - describes the values, behaviors, and practices that are the foundation of this culture. It's what makes us a leader in our industry.
This job is primarily responsible for working at facilities that unload barges of bulk products. This job performs a wide variety of duties that are based on the daily needs of the operation. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, coordinating with dispatch office and performing daily inspections and maintenance within the barge fleet. Job requires average of up to 10 hours per day; can be higher as needed dependent on business needs and time of year.
In this job, you will:
Actual responsibilities will vary depending on daily needs and type of facility.
- Fully participate in the company Safety Program and attends daily pre-shift meetings.
- Perform all duties within compliance of OSHA, company safety, and environmental regulations (ISO where applicable); including wearing appropriate PPE for task being performed.
- Complete documentation timely, accurately and legibly; collect boat logs and submit to dispatch by agreed upon date.
- Deliver supplies to fleet boats and/or docs and ensure accessible to the boat(s).
- Perform weekly inspections of all anchor chains and dead man blocks.
- Perform inspections of spar/block barges for issues, pump out water if necessary.
- Perform inspection of new barges in the fleet for leaks and/or damage upon arrival.
- Repair or replace marker buoys, shore wires, stern lines, buoy cables, barge ties as necessary/needed.
- Apply safety lines to barge ties where necessary.
- Coordinate with other fleets when in need of assistance with moving rigging within the fleet.
- Take inventory of all rigging items, provide inventory information to dispatch; ensure inventory is organized and accessible at all times.
- Other duties as assigned; including assisting in the general housekeeping of entire work area and/or clean-up of barge.
Here’s what you’ll need to be considered:
Required - High school diploma or equivalent, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required – None.
Preferred - 1 years’ experience working in an industrial environment with a dependable work record.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Basic mathematical skills (add, subtract, multiply, divide).
- Effective interpersonal, oral and written communication skills with the ability to interact with all levels of people within and outside the organization.
- Ability to complete documentation requirements.
- Able to follow direction and to use logical thought process to interpret oral and written instructions and troubleshoot problems.
- Ability to work well both independently with little or no supervision and within a team environment.
- Ability to use tools appropriate for assigned task.
- Ability to remain focused on exceptional customer service, both internally and externally.
Here’s additional information you need to know:
Physical Demands & Requirements
Ability to lift/push/pull 45 lbs. occasionally.
Ability to climb, crawl, stoop, kneel and balance.
Ability to safely walk and work on barge surface(s) and around barge rigging with ability to work around deep water.
Ability to swim.
Ability to understand and communicate verbally, in person and over two-way radio.
Ability to work outside in extreme weather conditions.
Ability to climb ladders and perform work at significant heights.
Able to perform work in confined spaces.
Ability to work in an environment with high dust levels around grain and other bulk products.
Ability to meet requirements of PFT and fit testing, when applicable.
Ability to meet requirement of and utilize all applicable PPE, when applicable.
Ability to work extended hours, weekend, holidays and/or alternate shifts as needed.
Uses peripheral vision and depth perception for tasks being performed.
The work environment described here are meant to be representative of those an employee would normally encounter while performing the essential functions of this job.
The physical environment requires the employee to work both inside and outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions. Frequently required to use personal protective equipment.
Travel, 5%-20% travel may be required at some facilities. This may include off-site training and/or work at alternate locations.
Are you ready to make a meaningful career move & an impact at Cooper Consolidated, LLC? Apply today!
Known in our industry for stability and high ethics, Cooper Consolidated, LLC offers a stellar benefits package including: an outstanding 401(k) retirement plan with company contributions, medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, life, & disability benefits, flexible spending accounts, paid leave (holidays, vacation, sick), wellness programs, recognition programs, community involvement opportunities, and much more!
Cooper Consolidated, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. EEO is the Law links in English or Spanish. We are unable to legally hire anyone who is not eligible to work in the United States nor are we able to sponsor visas.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this position. It should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
All Third Party Agencies, Headhunters, and Recruiters
Cooper Consolidated, LLC and its Subsidiaries only forms contracts with recruiters with whom we have an established relationship and with whom we have in place a signed contract. All contact from third parties must go through our Human Resources Department. Any contact made outside of our Human Resources Department by a third party will cancel any future business relationships between the third party and Cooper Consolidated, LLC and its Subsidiaries.
To learn more and apply for this position, click here.