By Aimee Andres |
Full Catalog of Programs
The U.S. Committee on the Marine Transportation System (CMTS) publishes a Federal Funding Handbook for Marine Transportation System Infrastructure each year. The latest edition can be found here.
Additionally, the U.S. Department of Transportation offers an applicant toolkit for the Rural Opportunities to Use Transportation for Economic Success (ROUTES) Initiative at the U.S. Department of Transportation. It is the latest effort by the Department and the Trump Administration to improve rural access to federal grant funds. The Toolkit provides user-friendly information and resources to enhance rural applicants’ familiarity with the Department’s discretionary grant programs and the funding process.
Federal Funding Opportunities for Infrastructure
The U.S. Department of Transportation offers federal funding assistance for infrastructure projects that may benefit ports. Some of the highlighted grants and timeframes to watch for are:
- Port Infrastructure Development Program Discretionary Grants (PIDP)
- America’s Marine Highway Projects
- Rebuilding American Infrastructure with Sustainability and Equity (RAISE), formerly BUILD, formerly TIGER
- Consolidated Rail Infrastructure and Safety Improvements (CRISI)
- Port Security Grants
- Infrastructure for Rebuilding America program (INFRA)
- Regional Infrastructure Accelerators (RIA) Demonstration Program
- Truck Emissions Reduction Study and Grant at Port Facilities (new)
- Promoting Resilient Operations for Transformative, Efficient, and Cost-Saving Transportation (PROTECT) Program (new)
- Diesel Emissions Reduction Act (DERA) Program
- SmartWay Transport Partnership
- The Rural Surface Transportation Grant Program (RURAL)
- The National Infrastructure Project Assistance (MEGA) program
Inland Rivers, Ports and Terminals monitors these funding opportunities through the different federal agencies, federal register and grants.gov. We will alert you through email when funding is available and post it on our website: https://www.irpt.net/funding-opportunities/ .
We encourage you to give thought to your strategic master plan and identify infrastructure projects that may fall within the above categories so when they become available, you are ready to submit your application.