Notice Number: 201656/L22-20
Date: 11/29/2022 08:00 thru 04/30/2023 23:59
1. Installation of the Ice Control Booms at the head of Course 2, Little Rapids Channel will begin 29 November 2022. The scheduled completion date for the ice booms will be on or before 9 December 2022.
2. The westerly portion Ice Control Boom projects into the channel no more than 40 feet immediately upstream of Light 99, (LLNR-14110), (F.G.). Submerged anchor chains and cables extend upstream from the floating portion of the boom to the ice stabilization island.
3. On the Easterly side of Little Rapids Cut Temporary Lighted Ice Buoy, R98B, (LLNR-14105), showing characteristic Quick Flashing Red, (Q.R.) will be installed in approximate position, 134 degrees true, 4,800 feet from Bayfield Dike Light, (LLNR-14185), (Iso.R.), to mark the upstream limits of the East Boom Anchor System. When Buoy R98B is positioned, the easterly 175 feet of the channel will be closed to navigation.
4. After the Ice Control Booms are installed, the available channel width for navigation will be restricted to about 385 feet until removal of the booms in the spring of 2023. The positions of the booms to be installed are shown on the attached chartlet.
5. Vessel masters are cautioned that anchor chains and cables are located under water and extend upstream and shoreward of the visible portions of the booms. Mariners are requested to exercise care in navigating this area and to be especially alert to avoid fouling with the submerged chains and cables. Small boat operators are cautioned to stay clear of the steel piles, ice stabilization islands and partially submerged anchor cables, and to be especially alert after dark to avoid the floating portions of the ice booms.
6. Our internet address is: https://www.lre.usace.army.mil/Missions/Operations/
7. Questions regarding this notice may be directed to LeighAnn Ryckeghem at 906-635-3464.
CYNTHIA A. JAREMA
Chief, Operations & Maintenance