Ozinga: Line Deckhand
|Department:||230 - Plant Op|
Middle River Marine is a full-service harbor and fleeting company providing short-haul marine towing and a wide variety of marine services. Our service area ranges from Peoria to Chicago and the Calumet Harbor. If you have a strong commitment to safety, teamwork, and enjoy a rewarding outdoor career, then a deckhand position may be for you. We are always on the lookout for quality, hard working individuals that thrive on the satisfaction of working together as a team to make great things happen. This position generally works 1 week straight on the boat, followed by 1 week off.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Deckhand duties vary from vessel to vessel and from watch to watch. The Master sets the watch standing schedule and posts the duty list for the crew. The Master, or his relief, must ensure that the Deckhand stands the proper watch and performs the proper duties. These may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Making up the tow;
- Dropping, spotting, and switching barges at docks;
- Assisting the vessel and tow in making locks;
Standing lookout, or riding the head of the tow as a lookout; and,
- Performing the various tasks necessary to carry out the above, such as making a coupling, operating winches and ratchets, and line handling, including splicing and throwing lines.
- Check all fuel and oil levels;
- Start / Stop generators and main engines;
- Check all shaft packing for proper tightness;
- Chipping and painting vessel and tow;
- Shingling minor cracks in vessels after obtaining office permission to enter any void tank in accordance with applicable tank entry procedures;
- Repairing of flame screens, cleaning, greasing winches, etc., in accordance with the boat checklist distributed by the Vessel Maintenance Department;
- Other equipment maintenance as needed.
- Cleaning or scouring the boat;
- Cleaning quarters, including personal quarters;
- Cleaning the wheelhouse and galley;
- Cleaning the heads and companionways;
- Performing other cleaning chores as directed by the Master.а
- Reporting any hazardous or unsafe condition to the Master and making on-the-spot corrections when capable.
- As directed by the Master or his relief.
The Ozinga story is an American story— Established in 1928 in Evergreen Park, Illinois, as a small coal and coke yard, Ozinga survived the Great Depression and World War II before becoming one of the first ready mix providers in the region. For four generations, we have continuously expanded our product and service offerings to faithfully meet the needs of builders throughout Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Michigan, and South Florida while holding to our longstanding commitment to provide it all at a fair price.
Today we provide concrete, bulk materials, and energy solutions while offering transportation services through an extensive network of truck, rail, barge, and ship terminals. Perhaps best recognized for our red and white striped concrete mixer trucks, Ozinga is proud to be an American-owned, fourth-generation family business serving the communities where we live, work and play. As our story continues, we will use our principles to build a better future for our coworkers, communities, customers, and country, and make the world better because we were all here working together.