Line Deckhand (Mokena, IL)
Middle River Marine is a full-service harbor and fleeting company providing short-haul marine towing and a wide variety of marine services. Our service area ranges from Peoria to Chicago and the Calumet Harbor. If you have a strong commitment to safety, teamwork, and enjoy a rewarding outdoor career, then a deckhand position may be for you. We are always on the lookout for quality, hardworking individuals that thrive on the satisfaction of working together as a team to make great things happen. This position generally works 1 week straight on the boat, followed by 1 week off.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Deckhand duties vary from vessel to vessel and from watch to watch. The Master sets the watch standing schedule and posts the duty list for the crew. The Master, or his relief, must ensure that the Deckhand stands the proper watch and performs the proper duties. These may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Making up the tow;
- Dropping, spotting, and switching barges at docks;
- Assisting the vessel and tow in making locks;
- Standing lookout, or riding the head of the tow as a lookout; and,
- Performing the various tasks necessary to carry out the above, such as making a coupling, operating winches and ratchets, and line handling, including splicing and throwing lines.а
- Check all fuel and oil levels;
- Start / Stop generators and main engines;
- Check all shaft packing for proper tightness;
- Chipping and painting vessel and tow;
- Shingling minor cracks in vessels after obtaining office permission to enter any void tank in accordance with applicable tank entry procedures;
- Repairing of flame screens, cleaning, greasing winches, etc., in accordance with the boat checklist distributed by the Vessel Maintenance Department; and,
- Other equipment maintenance as needed.
- Cleaning or scouring the boat;
- Cleaning quarters, including personal quarters;
- Cleaning the wheelhouse and galley;
- Cleaning the heads and companionways;
- Performing other cleaning chores as directed by the Master.
- Reporting any hazardous or unsafe condition to the Master and making on-the-spot corrections when capable.
- As directed by the Master or his relief.
Ozinga has been around for over 85 years and has survived adversity thanks to the commitment of their coworkers. Ozinga understands the value coworkers bring to their company. They offer salaries, healthcare benefits, and retirement plans that are difficult to emulate. Ozinga is an American-owned, fourth-generation family business that continues to grow as the Midwest’s premier building materials provider. They believe each and every coworker is an extension of their family, and they create an atmosphere focused on respect, encouragement, and growth.
To learn more and apply for this position: