Capital Sand Company is accepting applications for a Loader Operator- Barge Unloading (Jefferson City, MO)
Capital Sand Company is currently looking to fill a Loader Operator. This position is responsible for unloading barges and is a part of the dredging crew. The position will travel on a barge through Washington, Jefferson City, Glasgow, Lexington/KC area, and many other locations.
The position requires the ability to work a rotating schedule. Primarily 5 days/week and 12-hour shifts. Some weekends as needed. Flexibility is necessary.
- Safely operator front-end loader and/or material handler on a barge.
- Move and unload sand and gravel from barge with the use of heavy equipment.
- Perform general maintenance of heavy equipment; greasing, changing cutting edges, maintain maintenance logs, etc.
- Perform general maintenance on dock equipment, replacing bearings, replacing conveyor idlers, splicing conveyor belts, cutting, welding and fabrication.
- Servicing of deck equipment (winches, water pumps, etc.)
- Maintain dock barge in a clean, organized, and safe manner.
- Perform pre-shift inspections of heavy equipment and on dock equipment.
- As a part of the dredging crew, you will assist with deckhand duties of tying/securing barges to the tow boat, dock barge and into fleet.
- Participates in safety training, drills and meetings to ensure overall equipment and crew safety.
- Observe and comply with all company safety policies and procedures.
- Suggest corrective action to improve plant and equipment performance and assist with implementation.
- Work in a constant state of alertness and in a safe manner.
- Cross training and learn the other job functions within the dredging crew. This allows for the crew members to have a variety of job functions throughout the day/week.
- Performs other duties as directed.
- High School diploma or equivalent preferred
- Knowledge of the practices and techniques applied to the safe operation of heavy equipment, to include record keeping of equipment.
- Operate heavy equipment.
- Perform maintenance on equipment, as needed.
- Frequent standing, walking, bending over, climbing, reaching overhead, kneeling, balancing, pushing, or pulling, talking/communication, repetitive use of legs, lifting up to 50 lbs., carrying up to 75 lbs., eye/hand coordination.
- Valid driver’s license (preferred)
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Must be willing to do overnight travel.
- Must pass a pre-physical, drug test/alcohol screen, and background check.
- Strong work ethic and proven track record.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Must be willing to work overtime.
- Ability to read and understand the English language.
- Not afraid of working on/around water.
- Training or working knowledge of MSHA and Coast Guard regulations a plus.
- Welding experience a plus.
- Mechanical experience a plus.
- Deckhand experience on inland rivers a plus.
This is a full-time, benefits eligible position. We offer competitive wages and great employee benefits including health, dental, and vision insurance, 401(k) plan, life insurance and short and long-term disability.
Capital will give consideration for employment without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.