Marquette Transportation Company is accepting applications for a Logistics Manager (St. Rose, LA)
The Logistics position plays a critical role within our organization. This individual is responsible for working directly with our customers and our vessels to dispatch, together with other dispatch team members, our Gulf-Inland towboat fleet with the goal to maximize the efficient transportation of customer barges and cargoes. Our industry faces a constantly changing environment that makes the Logistics role very fast-paced which requires superb communication and problem-solving skills. The individual that will thrive in this role has the strong interpersonal skills required to build effective relationships with our customers, towboat captains, and operational support teams, is a quick thinker with a solid analytical background that is able to solve problems to drive optimization of our logistics system with agility and enjoys working in a team environment. This role has a direct and highly visible daily impact on our company’s financial results and, in turn, has frequent direct interaction with our senior managers.
- Serves as the primary communication interface between our customers and our towboats to manage the scheduled pick-up and delivery of barges needing transportation through a dedicated segment of our Gulf-Inland Division’s operating network
- Presents a customer service focus/attitude
- Engages in continual communication with customers, towboats, and vessel service providers throughout the day
- Possess the agility to respond to changing waterway conditions that affect productivity, changing customer requirements and dynamic vessel operations
- Develops a detailed understanding of the Lower Mississippi River system, Gulf Intra-Coastal Canals, and other navigable inland waterways, operating requirements in each segment, and the service providers/vendors that support our operations in various locations
- Drives continual optimization and problem solving to maximize the velocity and efficiency of our transportation system, taking into consideration current and potential operating dynamics
- Develops relationships with other marine transportation companies, harbor/fleeting service providers and other shippers to develop customer relationships for spot barge movements outside of our contract customer base
- Builds effective relationships with internal and external vessel service providers to streamline vessel support operations in a manner that minimizes negative impacts on logistics
- Maintains system information and prepare internal and customer reports with attention to detail
- Represents Marquette at industry events in the New Orleans area
- Serves in on-call rotation, ensuring coverage after hours and on weekends and holidays
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Finance, Supply Chain Management, Logistics, Agriculture, or related field preferred
- Must have excellent customer service skills, be a proactive and creative problem solver, and be comfortable in decision making process that directly affects the P&L
- Must be analytical, detail oriented, flexible, organized, self-driven, creative thinker, etc.
- Desire to work in a fast-paced, team environment
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Ability to travel to customers, fleets, vendors, elevators, vessels, etc. (most travel is local, only occasional out of town travel)
Marquette offers competitive pay, health, dental & vision insurance, 401K plan with company match, bonus plan, company paid life insurance, short- & long-term disability, flexible spending account, critical illness, accident insurance, and other incentives!