ACBL Mainline Vessels - Probationary Deckhand/Experienced Deckhand
Location: Jeffersonville, IN
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
YOU MAY APPLY TO THIS POSITION IF YOU ARE INEXPERIENCED OR EXPERIENCED. PLEASE NOTE, REGARDLESS OF INTERVIEW LOCATION ITS LIKELY YOU WILL BE ASSIGNED TO CREW OUT OF MEMPHIS, TN; PADUCAH, KY; OR ST. LOUIS, MO BASED UPON BUSINESS NEED.
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING BEFORE SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION
- Once you apply, you should receive a confirmation email. Monitor that email for any additional updates. Note the above message so the follow-up could be within days, to several weeks.
Prepares barges assigned to the towboat for safe and timely transport. Performs tasks associated with building and breaking tow, as well as towboat and barge maintenance. Performs tasks in all weather conditions both outside and in the confines of the vessel while navigating the inland waterway systems. Work is performed on rotating shifts, with a six hour on and six hour off schedule of approximately 28 days at a time. This position requires a valid TWIC card if hired.
Primary deckhand responsibilities:
- Build and break tow. Tow may attach/detach 5 to 25 barges depending on river system worked.
- Inspect, correct or notify others of any conditions which affect safety of people or cargo.
- Handle rigging during tow building, locking and docking activities.
- Assist in loading or unloading materials and supplies to and from docks, barges and boats.
- Examine cables, wires, and lines to ensure they are fit for use. Use tools to tighten or loosen same as needed.
- Effectively handle tow wires and cables to secure barges in safe and environmentally appropriately fashion.
Perform basic vessel maintenance such as painting, cleaning, changing oil and filters.
Educational and Job Requirements:
- Adhere to all ACBL policies, USCG and environmental regulations
- Read, understand and implement instructions and warnings associated with materials required for boat maintenance, cleaning and upkeep as well as perform duties as assigned in job briefings.
- Effectively use all safety equipment as required by ACBL policies, such as hearing protection, eye protection, gloves, flashlights, life jackets or work vest and steel-toed boots.
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED.
- Vocational or trade school coursework preferred.
- Ability to perform arduous work in all weather conditions.
- Must be able to perform the following: walk a minimum of two (2) miles per day; lift 60 to 100 pounds and carry 300 feet; climb a 90 degree ladder up 40 feet; grip, hold or pull 60 pounds; demonstrate full range of motion in both arms; crawl or lower self through 18 inch diameter hatch; step or jump two (2) feet horizontally and vertically; vision must be correctable to 20/40; work shifts of 12 hours.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license
- Obtain a TWIC card prior to the interview/or receipt by the interview
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants to this job posting will only be considered if they live within 250 miles of any of our river port crewing locations (Memphis, TN; Paducah, KY; St. Louis, MO; Lemont, IL; Harahan, LA; Convent, LA; Channelview, TX; Mobile, AL). Additionally, please note that travel is required for this position; including for the interview. Understand that regardless of the interview location, you could be assigned to any crewing location based upon business need.
As a leader in inland barge transportation, ACBL moves the grain, dry bulk and liquid commodities relied upon by consumers, businesses and industries every day. ACBL provides a wide array of barging solutions to meet your transportation needs and the flexibility required to support your business. With one of the nation’s largest and newest inland river barge fleets, ACBL operates the safest, most reliable and efficient equipment for transporting cargoes along 7,200 miles of U.S. inland waterways. With a fully integrated network, we provide transloading, warehousing, storage and fleeting services to support barge transportation throughout the Mississippi River System and its tributaries.
To learn more and apply for this position: