|Department:||300 - Equip Maint|
Ozinga has a career opportunity for a Marine Mechanic who will be primarily responsible for coordinating and overseeing the maintenance, repair and safe operations of all the assigned vessels and equipment.
- Coordinate repair and maintenance functions for operating fleet to minimize loss of revenue and cost of repairs
- Review repair requests and compare request with previous work accomplished on towboat concerned and similar vessels to determine that expenditures are economically sound
- Under the direction of the Port Engineer prepare recommendations for work and initiate procurement of materials
- Inspect machinery, equipment or space outlined in work request, draw up recommendations and submit to Port Engineer
- Maintain contact with contractors to ensure completion of work at minimum cost
- Investigate machinery casualties to determine cause and advise towboat's crew in methods of operation to prevent recurrence of casualty or malfunction
- Assist Port Engineer in maintaining records of engineering costs for each vessel such as repairs, supplies, and personnel
- Monitor and coordinate vessel certification inspections
- Regular attendance and physical presence at work is an essential function of this position
- This job may require additional duties not listed above and the employee may be asked to perform those duties to meet business needs
Education/Specialized Knowledge/Professional Certifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in marine engineering or a related field
- 3+ years in an engineering related filed may be substituted in lieu of educational requirements
- Knowledge of marine diesel engines and related systems required
- Knowledge of Cummins Marine Engines, John Deere Marine Engines, ZF Z Drives
- Knowledge of TowWorks Program preferred
- Valid Driver’s License, TWIC preferred
- 3 or more years’ experience in marine engineering
- Knowledge of USCG ab AWO/RCP standards and regulations
- USG license and/or Maritime graduate preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Products including Excel, Outlook and Word.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Must comply with all work rules including those that pertain to safety and health
The Ozinga story is an American story— Established in 1928 in Evergreen Park, Illinois, as a small coal and coke yard, Ozinga survived the Great Depression and World War II before becoming one of the first ready mix providers in the region. For four generations, we have continuously expanded our product and service offerings to faithfully meet the needs of builders throughout Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Michigan, and South Florida while holding to our longstanding commitment to provide it all at a fair price.
Today we provide concrete, bulk materials, and energy solutions while offering transportation services through an extensive network of truck, rail, barge, and ship terminals. Perhaps best recognized for our red and white striped concrete mixer trucks, Ozinga is proud to be an American-owned, fourth-generation family business serving the communities where we live, work and play. As our story continues, we will use our principles to build a better future for our coworkers, communities, customers, and country, and make the world better because we were all here working together.
To learn more and apply for this position: