Matagorda County Navigation District No. 1 Port of Palacios is a Special District formed in 1940 and authorized by the Texas State Legislature to promote commercial and recreational fishing, maintain a navigable waterway and to protect the coastal environment. When MCND#1 was initially organized, our stated mission was to provide a safe harbor for the boats that use the boat channel that was dug by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers across Matagorda Bay, from the Intracoastal Canal to Palacios. That mission remains a vital part of our purpose today.
Matagorda County Navigation District #1 seeks to expand and diversify the District’s commercial, industrial and recreational interests while supporting and enhancing the existing MCND#1 customer base, with the goal of improving the resilience of the District and the community.