J.F. Brennan Company, Inc. is accepting applications for Mates (Dyersburg, TN)
Tugboat crew members are the cornerstone of all the work we do at Brennan Marine Inc, and the demand for our work is growing. Our Mates are vital to the operation and maintenance of Brennan's tugboats.
As a Mate at Brennan, you are a key member in our organization. Our Mates work on dinner bucket boats, they work to keep product moving and safeguard important commodities as they travel hundreds of miles to get product to its destination. Create your legacy at Brennan Marine!
As a member of the boat crew, you’ll report into the pilot and be the lead on deck during the switching and fleeting operation and daily boat maintenance activities. The Mate works as part of a small team to complete the important work of ensuring products are transported to their destination safely. Mates do a variety of tasks from working in tow to boat engine maintenance tasks to completing daily housekeeping to make their vessel shine. Other duties include:
- Lead barge inspections for damage and leaks, which at times requires climbing into confined spaces
- Lead and provide training and progress reports on new Deckhands
- Complete all engine room duties including providing all completed engine room logs to the office
- Use lines, wires, ratchets, and stationary winches to build and break tow in all weather conditions
- Operate tools and equipment like ratchets, shackles, chain straps and wires/cables
- Oversee and complete daily and periodic maintenance tasks such as cleaning, painting, chipping, transferring rigging, and vessel maintenance
- Report vessel condition information to the mate or pilot, especially any hazardous or unsafe condition of the boat, tow, or any associated equipment, and take action to prevent injuries or accidents
Brennan mates are leaders in the making, they are hard workers and enjoy working outdoors on the water. Rain or shine, our clients and their end customers need your help getting commodities and products delivered.
- High school diploma or GED required
- Ability to work safely and be a vocal leader in safe practices
- Previous Deckhand/Mate experience
- Valid driver's license and reliable transportation
- Able to communicate clearly and concisely over a radio
- Ability to 12-hour shifts, days, nights, weekends, and holidays in any weather
- Capable of lifting and moving heavy objects
- Willing and able to learn the challenging tasks and assist others in learning as well
Compensation and Benefits
We provide a generous, industry-leading benefits package. The protection of our employees and families is important to us, we are proud to offer a group health insurance plan that is designed with our teams needs in mind.
- Medical, dental and vision insurance plans
- Optional accident, cancer, and critical illness insurance
- 401(k) program with generous matching
- Annual bonus eligibility
- Annual profit-sharing program
- Paid vacation, time off
- ID protection
- Fitness plan reimbursement
Why choose us?
- You will get to work for a company voted by our employees as a Great Place to Work®, for the fourth year in a row.
- Our focus on safety and quality is unmatched in the industry, and our ability to innovate has enabled us to exceed.
- They key to our success is our people! From personal development, to teamwork and collaboration, we strive to promote individual growth and advancement.
- We are a family-focused company and are determined to provide a rewarding career that offers above average compensation.
If you want a career where you will work hard, have opportunities for advancement, and do things every day that others only dream about then we want you.
Who is Brennan?
J.F. Brennan Company, Inc. (Brennan) is a 100-year-old, family-owned company that specializes in water-based environmental remediation and marine construction headquartered in La Crosse, WI that offers our employees growth, challenging work, empowerment, and meaningful work.
Brennan is known for tackling complex maritime projects, providing unique solutions through teamwork and collaboration, and maintaining a family-orientated culture.
J.F. Brennan Company, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
For more information and to apply for this position click here.
Learn more about J.F. Brennan Company, Inc. here.