SSA Marine is accepting applications for a Mechanic (Jacksonville, FL: Brunswick, Garden City, and Savannah, GA; Morehead City and Wilmington, NC; N. Charleston, SC)
The Mechanic is a part of the Operations team and is responsible for diagnostic and repair for machinery and mechanical equipment. Mechanics will generally perform repair and diagnosis of major components or remove/replace major components of various truck, forklift, and container stacker equipment at the direction of the Maintenance Supervisor. Expectations include the ability to diagnose and repair the following with little or no supervision: Diesel and gas engines, PTO Systems, Electric Systems, Hydraulic/ Air Brake systems, Heating/ Air Conditioning Systems, Instruments and Gauges, and Preventive Maintenance Service.
- Ensures the operational condition of machinery and mechanical equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements and repairs on engines, motors, pneumatic tools, conveyor systems, heavy machines and equipment, and production equipment; following diagrams, sketches, operations manuals, manufacture’s instruction, and engineering specifications; and trouble-shooting malfunctions.
- Locates sources of problems by observing mechanical devices in operation; listening for problems; and by using measuring and testing equipment.
- Controls downtime by informing managers of routine maintenance scheduling and techniques.
- Develops and maintains professional working relationships with outside parts and supply vendors and service companies.
- Road test vehicles when necessary to diagnose malfunctions or to ensure that they are working properly.
- Maintains equipment parts and supply inventories by determining appropriate inventory levels and controlling the inventory stock; anticipating needed repairs and pre-ordering parts and supplies to ensure all maintenance and repair is performed in a manner to support operational efficiency.
- Provides mechanical maintenance information by answering questions and requests.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Maintains logs detailing equipment repairs and maintenance and adheres to equipment maintenance schedule.
- Reports problems and issues to appropriate Manager.
- Performs other related duties as required
- High School diploma, or equivalent is required
- Vocational degree or certification is preferred
- Valid Driver’s License and TWIC card required.
- Must possess a Class B license and Medical Examiners Certification
- Minimum 2 to 4 years’ experience maintaining and repairing heavy equipment and machinery,
- Experience with power and hand tools.
- Specialized training in the repair and replacement of vehicle components preferred
- Knowledge of safety and accident prevention codes and regulations.
- Knowledge and understanding of parts and supply inventory management.
- Strong communication skills
- Basic computer skills preferred for data entry into maintenance systems.
- Applicant must supply their own tools for general maintenance functions.
- Required to observe all safety and health requirements.
- Must be able to work in rotating shifts, days, evenings, and nights.
- Must be able to work in extreme outdoor temperatures of hot and cold, extremely dusty conditions and occasionally, conditions of high levels of noise.
- The ability to work in an environment that may be hazardous to persons unable to see and hear fast moving equipment
- Willingness to travel as necessary, work the required schedule, and submit to a drug screening.
- Must be able to use operate various types of equipment and hand tools such as screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches, pressure gauges, and precision instruments, as well as power tools such as pneumatic wrenches, welding equipment, and jacks and hoists.
SSA Marine is an equal opportunity employer.
Please click here to learn more or apply.