Hanson Professional Services, Inc. is accepting applications for a Mechanical Designer (Springfield, IL)
Mechanical Designer- R914
At the core of our Mechanical practice is the desire to be good stewards of the public’s resources while incorporating improvements into the surrounding environment. As engineering professionals, we plan, design and permit building systems across the U.S. and abroad. Your work at Hanson will balance the societal benefits of the built-environment with nature.
Hanson Professional Services Inc. is seeking a candidate to fill a Facility Assessor position. Total work hours are anticipated to range from approximately 100 – 200 hours per month, with total annual hours in the range of 1,500-2,000 hours. Due to the significant travel involved, a specific geographic office location is not required.
As a Building Facility Assessor, expect to perform comprehensive facility condition assessments on a wide range of buildings for government and/or military facilities. We anticipate the successful candidate spending up to 40-60 percent of their time on site-based building facility assessments. This position will typically include travel for 1- weeks, followed up by office work to compile and assess the data obtained in the field. Some time off between work assignments is possible, based on client’s schedule and facility access. The bulk of the project load will be done on DoD and Federal Facilities, which require comprehensive background checks and security clearance. The candidate must have a thorough understanding of various building types, construction systems and repair/replacement methods. Knowledge or experience within historic preservation is a plus. Emphasis is on mechanical and electrical systems, but knowledge and experience with building structural systems is also of importance. Position requires the ability to work on a variety of projects, take direction from multiple supervisors, and coordinate with other staff. It is important that this position can support project teams from initial planning through documentation of the type and condition of the building components. This position may be an entry-level position geared for professional learning, growth, and increased responsibility.
A Day in the Life of a Building Facility Assessor at Hanson
Here’s a snapshot of what you would do in this role:
- Reviewing available building drawings, equipment specifications and other information to determine building construction and evaluate whether the installed systems are adequate for current building use.
- Identifying and developing facility repair and replacement options to satisfy the project objectives of the client.
- Some development of detailed cost estimates for implementing maintenance and capital expenditure projects.
- Handling multiple condition assessment projects in a condensed timeframe. Providing strategic advice from a client facing position and successfully deliver projects
- Will be the first line of Quality Control check for the information gathering and will assist in writing Drafts of Reports.
What We’re Looking For
We feel the following qualifications would set you up for success in this role:
- Perform engineering calculations, utilize computer software for documentation, and work efficiently with other team members for project completion.
- Must be able to apply technical training to perform basic calculations, work well in a team setting, and be willing to work diligently to learn new skills
- Must be able to apply technical training to perform basic calculations
- Computer literacy and a demonstrated ability to learn quickly
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team to develop and present concepts.
- Able to build effective relationships with team members, including internal and external clients.
- Strong oral communication and technical writing skills.
- Strong sense of urgency and dedication to meeting client deadlines.
Candidates will need the following competencies:
- Organizational Skills
- Project Management
- Time Management
- Ethical Conduct
- Problem Solving/Analysis
- Technical Capacity
- Customer/Client Focus
- Other duties as assigned
- BA/BS or equivalent experience in Facilities Management, Construction, or an Architecture/Engineering field.
- Minimum of two years of field experience on a variety of facilities; or proven work experience.
- Knowledge of BUILDER SMS software is preferred.
The work environment characteristics described here represent those an employee encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate in office areas. The Assessor must regularly lift or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus. A good sense of balance would be equally important as a safety issue and the ability to stand for extended periods while in the field and for use of a step ladder to visually observe and assess conditions overhead.
Working at Hanson:
- Travel is a requirement for this project, including sites across the continental US and US territories.
- Work hours may be somewhat flexible. Some overtime, including some evenings and weekend work may be required, mostly when out of town. when out of town.
- Must be able to pass background check, drug screen and have acceptable driving record.
Our focus on people means we offer a generous benefits program to help you create a solid foundation for health and security throughout your career, including:
- Competitive compensation
- Performance bonuses
- 401(k) with matching contribution
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- Comprehensive health & well-being plans
- Financial wellness plans
- Work-life balance programs
Want to know more? Visit our benefits page for all the details.
We understand that selecting a job is about more than the day-to-day tasks. It’s important to feel like you belong and safe to grow and progress along your career path. You’ll find that at Hanson. We have an inclusive, diverse workforce awaiting to connect with you and numerous opportunities to cultivate your career, including:
- Monthly educational webinars
- Leadership training
- Lunch & learn development sessions
- 24/7 access to thousands of skill-building courses
- Mentorship opportunities
- Award-winning internship program
- Employee recognition
- And so much more!
As employers/governmental contractors, we comply with government regulations, including affirmative action responsibilities where they apply. To assist us in meeting our affirmative action goals, employees are encouraged to refer minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY — AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
EEO / MINORITY / FEMALE / INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES / VETERAN
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or agencies/staffing firms. Resumes are only accepted from recruiters and agency/staffing firms if a signed agreement is in place at the inception of the recruiting effort and authorized for a specified position.
At Hanson, our people are what distinguishes us.
Hanson is a dynamic, employee-owned consulting firm providing a full range of engineering, scientific, and allied services throughout the United States. With innovative spirit and a drive to continuously improve, our people go the extra mile to give our clients the best possible results.