Kansas City - River Operations Update - 31 May 2022
1. River Conditions – National weather 1 – 2 day precipitation forecast shows 1.5 to 3 inches for rain across much of Missouri and Eastern Kansas. River gages near KC are starting to show increases due to rain. I would expect gage forecasts to start to reflect the precipitation later today or tomorrow.
2. Survey –Surveys crews are evaluating river conditions based on precipitation. With anticipated gage increase crews may pause surveys until river levels start to fall. Surveys from last week that have nor been sent out will continue to come out with boat report.
3. Channel Inspector – Recon run is being planned for first couple weeks of June. Goal is to try and catch a falling river. This may cause date of effort to move.
a. Newt Marine
i. RM 0 – 40. One of two floating plants working this area is scheduled to move up river and start work on obstruction at RM 366. Other crew will continue to working in this areas. Next week I will sperate into three crews
ii. Working loading out of Jefferson City Reach of river.
b. ACG – Will continue to work on new flow control structure at Cranberry Bend RM 282, as river levels allow. Only remaining work is topping off flow control structure and adding a new baffle dike downstream of chute opening behind exterior revetment.
c. Midwest – Placing rock on lower Tadpole Chute Flow control structure, as river levels allow. Bank paving will be next feature worked.
d. WA Ellis – Underway load rock in Kansas City Area and in RM 260 - 280. They will be in this reach for about 3 week and then mover to RM 340 and work upstream.
e. NWK Floating Plant – Loading out of Lexington, MO and working near RM 280 Cranberry Bend. It is anticipated they will be working this location for about 6 weeks.
5. Obstructions RM 366 – Contract awarded to Newt Marine. Floating plant scheduled to move up river from St. Charles, MO area this week.
6. Bridge work
a. Rocheport (I-70) Bridge – RM 185 – Last week contractor was doing a concrete placement on Wednesday, 25 May, and requested a closure. This effort was coordinated with USCG, however messaging of this did not go as planned. USCG is working to identify and correct issue.
b. Buck O’Neil (Broadway) Bridge – RM 366 – No Change
Next update Tuesday 6 June.
816-240-8131 Office Main Line