MS River Status Concordia Parish
Critical Infrastructure Involved: Transportation Systems (Maritime Transportation)
Summary: The United States Coast Guard (USCG) reports a vessel allided with a bridge, causing 25 barges in tow to break away and resulting in a 24-mile-long closure of the Lower Mississippi River near the parish of Concordia, LA.
- The Lower Mississippi River is closed between mile markers 339-363 for the next 24-36 hours.
- At least 14 vessels are waiting both north and south of the incident location, with a combined total of with 243 barges in tow.
- All barges have been recovered except one, which is taking on water and partially submerged.
- The damaged barge contains a cargo of corn but there is no reported spillage, and the extent of environmental impact is unknown.
- The incident occurred approximately 50 miles northeast of Baton Rouge, LA.
As of Time: Apr. 24, at 1230 ET.