OPERATIONAL STATUS – POE AND MACARTHUR LOCKS
MARYS FALLS CANAL
NOTICE NUMBER: 12957 / L20-13
EFFECTIVE: 12/14/20 06:00 thru 01/15/2021 23:59 EST
- The MacArthur Lock will close for the Navigation Season at 0600 hrs. 14 December 2020 for winter maintenance preparation and bridge placement.
- The Poe Lock will remain operational (on a 24-hour basis) through 15 January 2021 or until commercial traffic ceases, whichever occurs first.
- Operators of vessels that will be transiting the locks during the January lock operational period will keep the Engineer-in-Charge advised of their schedules.
- The following is from 33 CFR 207.440 for determining the closing date of the Soo Locks:
- Closing date. The locks will be maintained in operation only for the passage of down bound vessels departing from a Lake Superior port before midnight (2400 hours) of January 14, and of upbound vessels passing Detour before midnight (2400 hours) of January 15. Vessel owners are requested to report in advance to the Engineer in charge at Sault Ste. Marie, the name of vessel and time of departure from a Lake Superior port on January 14 before midnight, and of vessels passing Detour o January 15 before midnight, which may necessitate the continued operation of a lock to permit passage of vessel.
- Questions regarding this notice may be directed to the Soo Area Engineer, Mr. Kevin Sprague at 906-635-3464. Our internet address is: http://www.lre.usace.army.mil.Missions/Operations.aspx
CYNTHIA A. JAREMA, P.E.
Chief, Operations Office