The Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021 (Pub. L. 116-260, December 27, 2020) appropriated $100 million to expand intermodal and multimodal freight and cargo transportation infrastructure, including airport development under Chapter 471 (airport development) of Title 49, United States Code.
Projects funded under this program may augment existing intermodal and multimodal assets in close proximity with capital investments that strengthen the infrastructure connections. Funding may be used to eliminate artificial barriers and fill gaps that exist within current grant programs or to streamline connections between aviation, maritime, rail, and highway infrastructure and generate efficiencies in inventory and supply chain management.
Section C of the program NOFO provides a description of the limited eligibility under this program. Basically, it states the following:
- Maritime port authorities that satisfy both of the following conditions:
- That maritime port authority uses a terminal railway; and
- The location of the authority, as identified by either the authority’s business address or the geographic boundary of a port or facility under jurisdiction of the authority, is not more than 10 miles from a former military airport classified as a general aviation airport in the National Plan on Integrated Airport System (NPIAS) report for fiscal years (FY) 2019 to 2023.
- Former military airports that that satisfy both of the following conditions:
- The airport is classified as a general aviation airport in the NPIAS for FY 2019 to 2023; and
- The airport is located not more than 10 miles from a maritime port authority that uses a terminal railway.
- To be eligible, projects must be located not more than 10 miles from at least two highways on the Interstate System. Under this program, highways on the Interstate System means two separately numbered Interstates (i.e., 1, or 2, or 3-digit Interstates, including main routes, radial, beltways, or spurs.)
An important note from the NOFO – “Due to the prescriptive project eligibility criteria in the FY 2021 Appropriations Act, the Department expects that eligibility under the program will be limited to very few applicants. Potential applicants should carefully review the eligibility criteria in Section C of the NOFO to assess whether the applicant is an eligible applicant, and the project meets the statutory requirements.”
- Award Size: No less than $1 million. $100 million available.
- Cost Share: Variable, see NOFO - Federal share 80-100%, depending on project type.
- Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance number 20.936.
- Posted 2/25/2021
- Application Deadline 5 PM EDT, Friday 25 June 2021