NOTICE TO MARINERS
LOWER MISSISSIPPI RIVER
SECTION I - SPECIAL NOTICES
This section contains information of special concern to the Mariner
LOWER MISSISSIPPI RIVER - CHANNEL CONDITION/SAFETY ADVISORY – UPDATE
Conditions have lessened, the COTP Safety Advisory between approximate Miles 869.0 and 725.0, has been cancelled.
SECTION VII – GENERAL
This section contains information of general concern to the Mariners. Mariners are advised to use caution while transiting these areas.
LA - MISSISSIPPI RIVER, MILE 58.0, AHOP TO MILE 156.5, AHOP - Submerged Obstructions/Virtual Automated Identification System Aids to Navigation – UPDATE
For the safety of Maritime Traffic the U.S. Coast Guard has temporarily established Virtual Automated Identification System Aids to Navigation over the following USACE identified obstructions throughout the Mississippi River, AHOP.
- Mississippi River Wreck VAIS 114WR (LLNR-14117) Mile 114.0, LDB, AHOP, approximate position 29-58-24.7N 090-15-54.5W, Starboard Lateral IALA B virtual aid.
- Mississippi River Wreck VAIS 134WR (LLNR-14402) Mile 133.5, LDB, AHOP, approximate position 30-03-15.0N 090-29-18.9W, Starboard Lateral IALA B virtual aid.
- Mississippi River Wreck VAIS 138WR (LLNR-14469) Mile 138.0, LDB, AHOP, approximate position 30-03-10.3N 090-33-32.1'W, Starboard Lateral IALA B virtual aid.
- Mississippi River Wreck VAIS 157WR (LLNR-14692) Mile 156.5, RDB, AHOP, approximate position 29-58-45.3N 090-49-23.4W, Port Lateral IALA B virtual aid.
The following identified obstructions have been reportedly salvaged:
- Mississippi River Wreck VAIS 58WR (LLNR-13457) Mile 58.0, LDB, AHOP, approximate position 29-38-11.1N 089-55-36.9W
- Mississippi River Wreck VAIS 126WR (LLNR-14302) Mile 125.5, LDB, AHOP, approximate position 29-59-25.8N 090-24-16.5W.
- Mississippi River Wreck VAIS 137WR (LLNR-14452) Mile 137.0, RDB, AHOP, approximate position 30-02-42.3N 090-32-16.5W.
LA - MISSISSIPPI RIVER, MILE 122.9, AHOP - Partially Submerged Vessel – UPDATE
A partially submerged vessel has been reported on the Lower Mississippi River, near Mile 122.9, AHOP, with 4 feet of antenna visible above the waterline and a fuel slick surrounding the area, in the vicinity of the RDB, on September 15, 2021. The partially submerged vessel is reportedly not marked. Mariners are urged to avoid this area.
LA - MISSISSIPPI RIVER, MILE 138.0, AHOP - Salvage Operations – UPDATE
Continuing until further notice, SUPSALV is conducting salvage operations in the vicinity of Mile 138.0, AHOP, from 7:00 a.m., until 7:00 p.m., each day. SUPSALV will have a spud barge partially located in the channel at Mile 138.0, AHOP. Mariners are advised to transit the area with caution. For questions or concerns, mariners can contact SUPSALV, U.S. Coast Guard LCDR Jones, at (504) 858-2555. Onsite crew will monitor VHF-FM Channel 16.
MILE 482.6 - CHANNEL CONDITION
Shoaling has been reported in the vicinity of Mile 482.6, along the LDB, extending into the navigation channel. Mariners are urged to exercise caution in the area.