Red River Navigation Update
Pool Levels: Recent rains will create a rise in river levels.
Shreveport Gage: Currently 16.3' and projected to crest at 19.0' on Friday, 25 March. (Pool is 14.0')
Coushatta Gage: Currently 25.1' and projected to crest at 26.0' on Friday, 25 March. (Pool is 24.2')
Grand Ecore Gage: Currently 22.4' and projected to crest at 23.5' on Friday, 25 March. (Pool is 20')
Alexandria Gage: Currently 22.3' and projected to crest at 24.5' on Saturday, 26 March. (pool is 19')
ACME Gage: Currently 33.35' and projected to crest at 35.9' on Thursday, 24 March.
Red River Landing: Currently 52.7' and projected to fall to 50.9' on Wednesday, 6 April.
Restrictions: Alexandria gage is just under 100,000 cfs and falling, so no restrictions are enacted.
Rain Forecast: No rain is forecasted for the next week.
Siltation: Tows are requested to monitor siltation, at lock approaches, as the river falls, and report any sign of problems.
Old River Lock Major Maintenance
* At this time Old River Lock plans on closing on 15 August 2022 for 90 days.
* There is no opportunity for intermittent openings during this closure.
Red River Lock 1 Major Maintenance
* Lock 1 will be closed for 60 days during the 90 day Old River Lock closure and will start the same day Old River Lock starts.
* Access to the Mississippi River, through Old River Lock will be closed for 90 days.
* Industry needs to consider stockpiling product.
* There is an alternate route, around Old River Lock, by the Atchafalaya River.
* Vicksburg District is considering opening Lock 1 during the 60 day closure to pass traffic.
* Industry needs to consider the option of Lock 1 closed for 30 days, open for 1-2 weeks and closed for 30 days - BUT would have to use the Atchafalaya River.
We request your impacts and industry input by 29 April.
New Orleans Lock Status: Attached is an example of lock status for the New Orleans District. You may want to get on the email distribution to assist in determining impacts to alternate routes during the Old River Closure.
Contact: Kirk Dietrich, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Richard Brontoli, Executive Director
Red River Valley Association
P.O. Box 709
Shreveport, LA 71162