Marquette Transportation Company is accepting applications for an Offshore Tugboat Captain (Lockport, LA)
Marquette’s Offshore operating unit (Lockport, LA) provides full-service marine towing and diversified marine operations, including oilfield service and construction, dredge support, anchor handling, contract towing, and project and vessel management. With 9 offshore tugs ranging from 2400 to 5000 class horsepower, Marquette’s Offshore fleet operates the Gulf of Mexico, the Eastern Seaboard, the Caribbean, Mexico, Central and South America, and points beyond.
- Responsible for the safe and efficient operation and performance of his crew, vessel, and tow.
- The Captain must also strive to see that company policy, rules, and regulations are followed.
- Must report to the office all violations of policy or violations of federal, state, or local laws.
- Conducting monthly drills and safety meetings in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Ensure that work completed in accordance with Company safety policies and practices.
- Ensure all crew members on vessel receive instruction on how to do jobs properly and monitor performance.
- Carry out all duties assigned under the Vessel Security Plan as the designated vessel security officer.
- Ensure that each crew member knows the cargo of each barge in tow and has an understanding of any hazards associated with said cargoes.
- Enforce all Company policies and vessel specific guidelines in support of the Crew Endurance Management System on-board all vessels.
- Participate in crew management, performance evaluation, general supervisory duties and management of the vessel’s budget.
- Complete required log entries.
- Maintain radio watch as required.
- Enforce all rules.
- Give assignments and direction to the mate and/or lead deckhand.
- Comply with all established vessel management policies and procedures.
- Maintain the vessel budget and help maximize cost efficiency as directed.
- Provide instructions and information to crew members, land-based personnel, and USCG or lock personnel.
- Retain a USCG Master of Towing Vessels license endorsed for service.
- Meet USCG physical examination requirements.
- Be able to travel to and from vessel/training locations via air or car travel (must possess a valid driver’s license).
- Be able to climb steep stairs, sit or stand for long periods of time.Maintain an active TWIC.
- Valid U.S. Coast Guard license, Master or Mate of Towing Near Coastal (Minimum) or Oceans (preferred).
- 3-5 years of experience in dredge support work, anchor handling, & tow lining barges as Master of Towing coast-wise on the US East Coast & GoM.
Expected Hours of Work
- Schedule is approximately 28 days on and 14 days off.
- Ability to adapt to a variety of schedules and hours.
- Willing to take call outs.
- Ability to work weekends, holidays, evenings, etc.
- Marquette offers a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits and a 401k plan.