Trinity River Authority of Texas is accepting applications for an Operator II (Roanoke, TX)
This position is responsible for performing skilled duties in the operation of water or wastewater treatment plant or a raw water pumping plant. Duties involve routine inspection of plant processes and equipment. Works under general supervision.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Monitors plant operations by observation, instrumentation and laboratory test results and takes corrective actions as necessary.
- Makes process adjustments to predetermined parameters. Required to place equipment into operation or take equipment out of operation.
- Monitors condition of mechanical equipment and notifies appropriate personnel of needed repairs or any operational problems. Takes corrective action when equipment malfunctions. Responsible for minor preventive maintenance to maintain facilities in a safe and effective manner, and may include grounds maintenance where needed.
- Takes samples at various operating points in the plant process and interprets data. Performs various lab tests. Responsible for general housekeeping.
- Required to maintain good communications, including thorough written process logs and records. May assist in data input into computer system. Provides technical training to less experienced staff members.
- Observes all safety guidelines as initiated by the Authority in addition to being aware and responsive to plant security issues. May be responsible for plant security during evening and night shifts. Takes action to protect certain structures and equipment under emergency conditions. Assists in the safe handling and unloading of chemicals in the plant. Responsible for the safe handling and unloading of various chemicals. May be responsible for responding to various emergency situations as directed by supervisor.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- May be responsible for responding to various emergency situations, including after-hours, as directed by supervisor.
May be assigned to order supplies and/or equipment as directed by supervisor.
High school diploma; sixty college credit hours preferred or equivalent technical education.
Two years of experience in water/wastewater or raw water pumping plant.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (or predecessor agency) Class C Water or Wastewater Operator's Certificate of Competency required. Must be able to pass Plant specific Operator II test such as the Operator Efficiency Review (OER).
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Must possess leadership ability and supervisory talents. Must be able to interpret simple test results and equipment malfunction. The ability to communicate and document daily activities to ensure proper plant operation is essential.
Must be able to run lab tests and interpret results and equipment malfunction.
Receives regular instructions and chooses between a range of procedures. Follows and chooses from a range of established procedures, work methods and direct instructions. Has some flexibility about the sequence of work. Issues outside of specific instructions and procedures are referred to supervisor or more senior position.
This position requires moderate to heavy physical labor with daily lifting requirements up to 25 pounds and occasional lifting up to 50 pounds. Subject to standing, sitting, walking, climbing, bending, crawling, squatting, kneeling, and working in cramped and strained positions for extended periods.
Working conditions include exposure to weather, odor, noise, chemical hazards, gases and dust, standing for prolonged periods of time, walking up and down several flights of stairs, climbing and descending ladders, working at heights, and working in tight or confined spaces.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Hand tools, broom, sample collectors, flow meters, high pressure hoses, D.O. meters, respirators, SCBA's, centrifuge, settlemeter, lab equipment, safety equipment, heavy equipment, and PPE.
The Trinity River Authority’s mission is to promote conservation, reclamation, protection and development of the natural resources of the river basin for the benefit of the public.
At TRA, we are proud of the many services we provide to more than 60 cities in the Trinity River basin that improve the quality of life for millions of residents. We understand that safe, clean water is a necessity; in fact, water is the single-most essential element to life as we know it. We have made it our mission at TRA to make access to clean water a reality for the residents of the Trinity River basin.
For more information and to apply for this position click here.