Trinity River Authority is one of the largest river authorities in Texas, where we enjoy a dynamic and exciting work environment that takes pride in providing safe, clean water to more than 60 cities along the Trinity River Basin. TRA’s services have greatly improved public health and daily life in the communities we serve since our inception in 1955.
TRA offers a competitive starting salary range, along with a comprehensive benefits package including insurance programs, savings programs, paid time off and holidays. Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. TRA is an equal opportunity employer.
This position is responsible for performing skilled duties in the operation of water or wastewater treatment plant or a raw water pumping plant. Duties involve routine inspection and understanding of plant processes and equipment. Works under general supervision.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Monitors plant operations by observation, instrumentation and laboratory test results and takes corrective actions as necessary.
2. Makes process adjustments to predetermined parameters. Required to place equipment into operation or take equipment out of operation.
3. Monitors condition of mechanical equipment and notifies appropriate personnel of needed repairs or any operational problems. Takes corrective action when equipment malfunctions. Responsible for minor preventive maintenance to maintain facilities in a safe and effective manner, and may include grounds maintenance where needed.
4. Takes samples at various operating points in the plant process and interprets data. Performs various lab tests. Responsible for general housekeeping.
5. Required to maintain good communications, including thorough written process logs and records. May assist in data Iinput work orders into computer system. Provides technical training to less experienced staff members. Acts as lead operator in the absence of the Senior Operator and Chief Operator.
6. Observes all safety guidelines as initiated by the Authority in addition to being aware and responsive to plant security issues. May be responsible for plant security during evening and night shifts. Takes action to protect certain structures and equipment under emergency conditions. Assists in the safe handling and unloading of chemicals in the plant. Responsible for the safe handling and unloading of various chemicals. May be responsible for responding to various emergency situations as directed by supervisor.
7. Performs other duties as assigned.
WORK LEADERSHIP RESPONSIBILITIES
This position does not regularly provide work leadership or full personnel management to any employees.
Initiates ordering supplies and/or equipment as directed by supervisor.
(required level of education)
High school diploma; sixty college credit hours preferred or equivalent technical education. Must have completed all classes required for TCEQ B Treatment Plant Operator license.
(minimum years and types of related experience required)
Three years of experience in water/wastewater or raw water pumping plant.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
(any specialized certifications licenses or registrations required by TRA or other authority in order to do the job, including those the incumbent must be able to obtain)
Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (or predecessor agency) Class C Water or Wastewater Operator’s Certificate of Competency required. Must be able to pass Plant specific Operator II III test such as the Operator Efficiency Review (OER).
(Information or facts than employee must know in order to be able to perform the work)
Must be able to run lab tests and interpret results and equipment malfunction.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
(developed capability to use or apply knowledge effectively or dexterity/coordination in the performance of physical tasks)
Must possess leadership ability and supervisory talents. Must be able to interpret simple test results and equipment malfunction. The ability to communicate and document daily activities to ensure proper plant operation is essential.
Receives regular instructions and chooses between a range of procedures. Follows and chooses from a range of established procedures, work methods and direct instructions. Has some flexibility about the sequence of work. Issues outside of specific instructions and procedures are referred to supervisor or more senior position.
This position requires moderate to heavy physical labor with daily lifting requirements up to 25 pounds and occasional lifting up to 50 pounds. Subject to standing, sitting, walking, climbing, bending, crawling, squatting, kneeling, and working in cramped and strained positions for extended periods.
Working conditions include exposure to weather, odor, noise, moving mechanical parts, waste (liquid and solid), chemical hazards, gases and dust. Also, confined space entry, heights, inside vaults, and working while using personal protective equipment. May be required to work hours other than regular daytime schedules, such as shift work, nights, weekends and holidays.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Hand tools, broom, sample collectors, flow meters, high pressure hoses, D.O. meters, respirators, SCBA’s, centrifuge, settlemeter, lab equipment, safety equipment, heavy equipment and PPE.
Loyal: Shows firm and constant support to a cause
Detail Oriented: Capable of carrying out a given task with all details necessary to get the task done well
Dedicated: Devoted to a task or purpose with loyalty or integrity
Ability to Make an Impact: Inspired to perform well by the ability to contribute to the success of a project or the organization
High School or better.
Some college or better.