American Commercial Barge Line (ACBL) is accepting applications for a Pilot/Captain-Upper Mississippi (Jeffersonville, IN).
ACBL is currently seeking Captains as well as Pilots for their mainline vessels. This position has primary responsibility for the safety of vessel employees, the vessel, cargo and the environment. This position is for our vessels that work primarily the Upper Mississippi, Lower Mississippi, and Illinois Rivers. This may also include other Tributaries as well.
Other accountabilities include but not limited to:
- Ensure that work completed during his/her watch is done in accordance with Company safety policies and practices.
- Navigate the vessel safely at all times.
- Ensure all crew members on vessel receive instruction on how to do jobs properly and monitor performance.
- Carry out all duties assigned under the Vessel Security Plan as the designated vessel security officer.
- Ensure that each crew member knows the cargo of each barge in tow and has an understanding of any hazards associated with said cargoes. CFR 35.05-15b.
- Enforce all Company policies and vessel specific guidelines in support of the Crew Endurance Management System onboard all vessels.
- Participate in crew management, performance evaluation, general supervisory duties and management of the vessel’s budget.
- Complete required log entries.
- Maintain radio watch as required.
- Report Certain Dangerous Cargoes (CDC) barges at pick-up, drop-off, and designated mile points to the Inland River Vessel Movement Center.
- Enforce all rules.
- Give assignments and direction to the mate and/or lead deckhand.
- Comply with all established vessel management policies and procedures.
- Maintain the vessel budget and help maximize cost efficiency as directed.
- Provide instructions and information to crew members, ACBL land-based personnel, USCG or lock personnel.
- Must meet USCG physical examination requirements.
- Must be able to travel to and from vessel / training locations via air or car travel (must possess a valid driver’s license).
- Must be able to work one of the following schedules: 28/28 or 28/14.
- Must be able to work a 6 hour on 6 hour off watch or 12 hour watches.
- Must have experience pushing barges (tows of 6 or more preferred).
- Must be able to climb steep stairs, sit or stand for long periods of time.
- Must be able to ride in or pilot a crew boat or zodiac to get to/from towing vessel.
- Must be able to work in all weather conditions.
- High School Diploma/GED or better
- Must maintain valid USCG licensing.
- Master of Towing Vessels upon Western Rivers license required.
- Must have an Inland Waters or Near Coastal Endorsement.
- Maintain an active TWIC.
2-4 years: Years of Experience
Licenses and Certifications:
- Driver's License
American Commercial Barge Line is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
As a leader in inland barge transportation, ACBL moves the grain, dry bulk and liquid commodities relied upon by consumers, businesses and industries every day. ACBL provides a wide array of barging solutions to meet your transportation needs and the flexibility required to support your business. With one of the nation’s largest and newest inland river barge fleets, ACBL operates the safest, most reliable and efficient equipment for transporting cargoes along 7,200 miles of U.S. inland waterways. With a fully integrated network, we provide transloading, warehousing, storage and fleeting services to support barge transportation throughout the Mississippi River System and its tributaries.
Please click here to learn more and apply for this position.