Manages vessel activities collaboratively with Vessel Management Team (Maintenance, Logistics, and other areas as needed) to optimize productivity, identify and achieve metrics, and identify/implement industry best practices.
- Develops and implements continuous improvement recommendations through training and audit methodologies.
- Develops methodology to encourage recommendations and implements process changes that improve productivity, increase fleet boat efficiency, and reduce costs including, but not limited to, decreasing port time.
- Supervises the daily activities and ensures appropriate training for all wheelhouse officers. Ensure the implementation of programs, best practices, policies for all boats to achieve an injury free workplace.
- Ensures compliance with company policy and government regulations.
- Responsible for Team Member issues regarding hiring/discharging, promotions, and disciplinary actions. Interprets and applies company policies & procedures relative to Team Member issues & activity.
- Provides positive, forward-thinking leadership consistent with ACBL’s operating priorities.
- Communicates and implements company policies and procedures to vessel personnel.
- Consults with other members of vessel operations management team on selecting, coaching/developing, and motivating necessary talent to maintain functionality of department.
- Recruit and retain all levels of vessel Team Members.
- Audits to ensure regulatory compliance, provides feedback and examines industry best practices on compliance issues.
- Audits vessels to ensure ACBL standards are in place to achieve balances scorecard metrics – analyzes data and determines continuous improvement techniques.
- Assists with establishing departmental goals and special projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in business and/or related field is preferred
Years of Experience:
10+ years of vessel leadership competence in barge transportation environment is required
- Must possess a license to operate towing vessels.
- Competence managing from a remote location is required.
- Strong knowledge of barging operations and river system is required.
- Working knowledge of government regulations is a plus.
- Proficiency in using MS Office software.