Under general direction of the Accounting Supervisor, Assistant Director of Finance and/or the Director of Finance, performs a variety of technical financial accounting and program support duties in cash management, accounts receivable and billing, accounts payable, cash receipts and disbursements, project accounting, fixed assets and general ledger. This position involves a high level of independent judgment. This employee will be required to interpret the Port’s Tariff and departmental policies and practices.
- Review and reconcile assigned ledgers and accounts and maintain appropriate supporting documentation.
- Prepare monthly recurring journal entries and adjusting journal entries.
- Assists with the preparation of monthly financial statements, operation summary, and other financial reports.
- Prepares accounts receivable billing, including utilities, leases, agent rebates, and service charges.
- Assists in identifying past due accounts and issuing delinquent letters.
- Prepares and posts accounts payable vouchers and other vendor payments.
- Assists with cash management including preparation of monthly bank reconciliations, preparation of transfer checks between the Port’s accounts, reconciliation of daily receipts and reconciliation of weekly disbursements.
- Maintains fixed assets accounts, including depreciation schedules.
- Assist with payroll process duties.
- Prepares 1099s,1099Rs and other year-end reports.
- Assists in distribution and recording of pension contributions and payments.
- Provides accounting and bookkeeping assistance/training to other departments.
- Maintains files assuring discrete handling of confidential material.
- May be called upon to perform receptionist duties.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a closely related field.
- Must have the ability to work well and start and complete projects with minimal supervision.
- Must be competent in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, and must be able to adapt to new technology.
- Must have some knowledge of modern accounting practices, office terminology, procedures and equipment.
- Must have the ability to maintain established records and files.
- Must be able to maintain an effective working relationship with other employees, vendors, customers and the public.
- Must have the ability to work in coordination with other employees on a common project.
- Must have the ability to exercise good judgment in the making of minor decisions in accordance with rules, policies and procedures.
- Three (3) years of experience in governmental accounting and budgeting.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish).
Work Conditions & Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Work involves near continuous use of computer terminal
- Work requires light physical effort such as stooping and bending, and occasional lifting of lightweight objects (up to 25 pounds)
- Work requires long periods of sitting (up to 2 continuous hours and up to 8 hours in a day
- Work occasionally requires periods of walking out-of-doors, in dusty locations and in the presence of heavy equipment for periods of up to 6 hours per day
- Work occasionally requires driving in an environment that contains heavy equipment in operation
- Work may require long periods of standing (up to 2 continuous hours and up to 6 hours in a day)
- Occasional work outside of normal working hours may be required
- Valid Texas Motor Vehicle Operator’s License.
- Must possess, or be able to obtain, a valid Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC).
- Selected candidate must pass a post-employment drug screening and background investigation to be hired for this position.
The above duties may not be performed in every position with this job title and the above functions may not include all related duties that might be performed.
The Port of Brownsville is an equal opportunity, affirmative action organization. The Port of Brownsville prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
To learn more and apply for this position, click here.
Learn more about Port of Brownsville here.