Renewal Energy Group is accepting applications for a Project Engineer (Geismar, LA)
This position has overall responsibility for successful development, execution, and start-up of small to large size capital projects (typically $100k to $4M, but occasionally managing large projects $2M-$50M) at REG manufacturing facilities. Specific responsibilities include development of project justification, scope, schedule, budget, detailed design, equipment and piping specification, equipment procurement, developing contracts, project material procurement, purchase order creating, invoicing tracking, and managing contractors performing the work.
This position will also include some Process Engineering work as required. This would include support and continuous improvement of plant operations, developing and maintaining PSM programs, and preventative maintenance/reliability improvements..
** This position requires Project based travel ranging 5%-20% dependent on Project, and could be day or overnight trips**
Full Time - JR100324
- Implement small to large scale projects related to process or facility improvements
- Lead project teams ranging from 3-30people
- Work with plant and project team to develop project justification, scope, schedule, and budget
- Track project budget and forecast project spending.
- Lead the project through the FEL (front end loading) engineering process
- Develop capital requests
- Develop project detailed design documents
- Lead/coordinate project review meetings including process design reviews, 3D model reviews, and PHA/HAZOP safety reviews
- Specify equipment, negotiate equipment contracts/purchase orders, and manage equipment procurement to ensure it arrives on time and meets design
- Develop scope of work and negotiate contracts with outside engineering firms and contractors (civil mechanical, electrical, process controls/automation, etc.)
- Evaluate contractor drawings such as P&IDs, mechanical, electrical, civil, structural, architectural, and general layout
- Ensure work is done safely and meets all QA/QC requirements
- Follow OSHA PSM and REG policy for Management of Change and Pre Start-Up Safety Reviews (MOC and PSSR)
- Travel to facility as needed to ensure project success
- Develop a thorough understanding of REG’s biodiesel and renewable diesel technologies
- Complete and review Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (PID’s) for existing and new processes.
- Become proficient in utilization of plant data historian programs such as Plant Information (PI)
- Assist plants as necessary for day to day process operations, troubleshooting, and continuous improvement activities such as raw material use, energy use, and production capacity
- Develop and maintain process safety information and other elements of the PSM program
- Participate in or lead the Process Hazard Analysis related to process changes
- High level project estimation.
- Develop/maintain control narratives for plant processes, and lead the design of plant graphics and PI ProcessBook pages
- Ensure job files are stored per company policy
- Participate in punch list development and completion of outstanding items
- Ensure management of change procedures are followed and documented
- Maintain project documents and electronic document control for easy electronic archival and retrieval
- Obtain all required closeout information in a timely fashion to allow for expeditious completion of the closeout process
- Review installation of process piping and equipment to ensure all items are installed per the technical drawings
- Monitor contractor progress throughout the construction process including a final review of contractor work before the contractor leaves the site
- Organize and lead regular team and project meetings
- Assign action items during meetings and hold parties accountable through persistent communication
- Communicate project progress to stakeholders and be able to present to larger groups
- Write capital requests and provide justification for capital projects
- Issue monthly project reports
- Help bridge between the plants, corporate offices, and contractors during capital projects
Purchasing, Estimating, Expediting, Regulatory, Requests for Information, Risk Management, Scheduling, Submittals and Billing are also a focus area for this individual. All of these areas will be expanded upon further conversations.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Education Required: 4 year bachelor’s degree - Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering.
Experience Required: 3+ years project management in a process-related industry, preferably in biodiesel, edible oils, petroleum, petrochemical, ethanol, chemical manufacturing environments. Would prefer candidate with local experience.
Advanced Excel skills
Strong verbal and written communication skills
Basic financial analysis abilities
Strong organization skills
Strong technical background
Enterprise-level databases (JD Edwards, Maximo, SAP, etc.)
Special skills or knowledge preferred:
Familiarity with FEL Project Planning Methods.
REG is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
It’s fun to work in a team that is advancing the sustainable future of the fuel industry!
We're committed to working by our values of driving results the REG way with collaboration, innovation, dedication, passion and effectiveness.