ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
• Provide technical oversight and sign off on all engineered projects assigned to you.
• Communicate with customers and the sales department to clarify the desired outcome of a project.
• Be interactive with customer, by phone, in person or at work sites, as required.
• Per customer order, perform application engineering on a variety of dry fertilizer conveying and blending equipment.
• Work with project manager(s) (if assigned) and the sales team to ensure all required information is obtained for assigned projects.
• Update general layout drawings as required after handoff from the sales layout drafter.
• Provide necessary guidance for mechanical engineers, designers, drafters to perform project design work.
• Perform the same engineering design work as the team of engineers, designers, drafters to include work on projects not assigned to you utilizing computer-aided drafting and design (CAD), SolidWorks and AutoCAD.
• Check all work performed by mechanical engineers, designers, drafters on projects including part and assembly drawings, BOMs, packets for millwrights, and packets for the customer.
• Update general layout drawings and finalize all documentation for project closeout.
• Work with engineering support staff to release drawings to manufacturing and packets to shipping.
• Prepare and maintain controls and automation documents for projects.
• Prepare and maintain Master Project Information document prior to start of job and throughout completion.
• Provide guidance to millwrights and other third-party contractors to ensure proper equipment installation and startup.
• Visit customer sites as required to obtain or communicate project information and ensure proper equipment installation and startup.
• Run and document project meetings and conference calls as needed.
• Assist in the creation of equipment design standards.
• Write Engineering Change Notices (ECNs) to communicate design changes or standardization.
• Coordinate work with other departments within the organization.
• Handle issues and questions from the field by reacting quickly.
• Work in new product development groups to design new features and equipment.
• Maintain files and records.
• Safeguard confidential information regarding employees and the company.
• Collaborate frequently with Engineering Manager.
• Travel up to 20%.
• Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
• Knowledge of engineering principles and solid analytical skills.
• Perform engineering calculations by hand and using software to ensure proper equipment strength and design.
• Solid mechanical design background with the ability to perform design/layout work in SolidWorks and AutoCAD.
• Working knowledge of enterprise resource planning (ERP) software.
• Good communication skills, both written and oral. Must be able to prepare clear and concise technical documents including ECNs and project reports.
• Ability to deliver results on time to the highest standards.
• Ability to multitask and prioritize multiple projects at the same time.
• Ability to travel to and work at project sites during various project stages.
• Strong organization and documentation skills.
• Strong drive and resilience, action and result oriented.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Excellent people skills. Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain positive and effective relationships with other employees, customers, and third-party partners.
• Strong work ethic. Must be able to put in the hours required to complete work.
• Possess knowledge of Microsoft Outlook tools (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
• Engineering or engineering technology degree.
• 5 years of experience in machine/equipment design.
• 5 years of experience in project management.
• Experience in AutoCAD and SolidWorks or comparable software.
• Fluent user of AutoCAD and SolidWorks.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Understanding of OSHA regulations.
• Experience in agriculture, material handling, material blending or fertilizer industry.
Works primarily from an office in the Waconia and the Norwood-Young America facility. Travel to other company operations and job sites as needed. Equipment used includes, but is not limited to, personal computer, printer, fax machine, calculator and copy machine.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Sit for extended periods of time.
• To have hand and arm (or equivalent) dexterity adequate to allow for extensive use of a keyboard for data entry.
• To talk and hear with enough proficiency to allow for communicating with customers by phone or in person.
• To have adequate vision to accommodate frequent viewing of computer screens, print reports and customer account cards and ledgers.
• The noise level is usually moderate.
Waconia Manufacturing, Inc. will not discriminate against or harass any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, familial status, disability, age, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or status with regard to public assistance. (The examples given above are intended only as illustrations of various types of work performed and are not necessarily all-inclusive. This position description is subject to change as the needs of Waconia Manufacturing, Inc. and requirements of the position change. Waconia Manufacturing, Inc. reserves the right to change and/or eliminate any and all job duties as necessary. This position is subject to state drug and alcohol testing.)
To learn more and apply for this position, click here.
Learn more about Sackett Waconia here.