Patrick Engineering is accepting applications for a Project Engineer- Railroad (Lisle, IL)
The Rail Project Engineer is responsible for assisting in leading the planning, design and construction management/oversight of railroad projects (track, intermodal, yards, terminals, industrial facilities) and will be responsible for project quality. This individual will be comfortable working cross-functionally and will coordinate with other professionals on larger, multi-discipline projects. Additionally, this person will delegate and oversee the technical work of staff engineers. The Rail Project Engineer may act as the liaison between the project manager and staff engineers relaying all important and relevant project information in an effective manner. This individual is expected to perform site visits, meet with clients, and participate in the preparation of proposals.
Discipline Specific Overview
- Interfaces with the project manager and other discipline leads (internal and/or external). Interfaces with the client for technical discussions when called upon. Serves as the person in responsible charge of technical work. Directs the preparation of design calculations, plan development, and reports for civil and track aspects of railroad projects. Has the ability to lead and monitor the progression of these aspects on large multi-discipline intermodal, terminal, yard, capacity and industrial projects. Understands and comprehends the inter-discipline coordination required to make these projects successful.
- Assists with developing the technical aspects of proposals in a clear concise manner; attends client and team meetings and/or presentations to explain technical aspects of the project.
- Develops, trains and mentors team members on design theory and best practices for railroad engineering. Provides direction to subordinate staff for quality control including maintaining documentation records.
- Responsible for delivering project work with quality, on time and within budget.
- Demonstrates a proactive, collaborative approach with project team members, client representatives, review agencies and others as appropriate for the project.
- Participates in technical and feasibility studies and site investigations.
- Prepares and/or reviews technical reports.
- Prepares and/or reviews plan preparation.
- Understanding of railroad work with a wide variety of clients (Intercity passenger, commuter, freight including Class I’s, regionals and short lines, industrial).
- Produces and reviews detailed designs and implementation of civil engineering projects.
- 10+ years of progressive experience; Professional Engineering License required.
- Active involvement in AREMA and industry societies preferred; class I railroad experience required.
- Strong computer skills, specifically in the area of Microsoft Office and Outlook; previous experience with Bentley MicroStation, InRoads, Rail Track, GeoPak preferred. ProjectWise experience a plus.
- Strong technical, written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to clearly communicate concepts and ideas.
- Self-starter who can work independently and as a part of a multi-discipline team.
Patrick does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or agencies. Any resume submitted to any employee of Patrick without a prior written search agreement will be considered unsolicited and the property of Patrick. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Patrick is a national engineering and design, construction, management services, and technology firm. Since 1979, we have been providing services to local, state, and federal government agencies; private and public utilities; and FORTUNE 500 companies. Having worked in all 50 states, six different countries and proven ourselves as a trusted partner, clients turn to us for the entire process of project delivery - from planning through construction to operation and maintenance. Patrick accomplishes this with a full suite of engineering disciplines, experienced construction managers, program management and project controls experts, and GIS and asset management technology specialists. We serve clients in the transportation, utility and renewable, industrial infrastructure, and federal and institutional markets. We take pride knowing the projects we work on have a positive effect on the community, society, and the environment.
Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action Policy Statement
It is the policy of Patrick Engineering Inc. (“Patrick”) to provide equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disabilities, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, military status, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, other protected veterans (veterans who served during a war or in a campaign or expedition for which a badge has been authorized), and Armed Forces service medal veteran, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. We are strongly committed to this policy and believe in the concept and spirit of the law.