Reminder of Upcoming / Current Closures
Start: 29-May-23 (Comment this may shift by a couple days based on Memorial day holiday)
Montgomery (Remains unchanged)
-Openings Sept 2nd - 4th with width restriction, basically this allows for 4 barges at a time. (PrimaryChamber) Major Delays expected.
-Openings Sept 25th – Oct 16th with width restriction, basically this allows for 4 barges at a time. (PrimaryChamber) Major Delays expected.
Other Closures / Events
· 33 CFR 165 Annual Firework displays and other events in District 8 USCG: eCFR :: 33 CFR 165.801 -- Annual fireworks displays and other events in the Eighth Coast Guard District requiring safety zones.
This link has all recurring firework and other events. Just because they are on this list does not mean that it will happen every year.
· 33 CFR 100 Annual Marine Events in District 8 USCG: eCFR :: 33 CFR 100.801 -- Annual Marine Events in the Eighth Coast Guard District.
This link has recurring marine events (regattas, races, festivals…). Just because they are on this list does not mean that it will happen every year.
· Sector Ohio Valley Broadcast Notice to Mariners: Broadcast Notices to Mariners Search Results | Navigation Center (uscg.gov)
These are broadcasts that the CG provides on channel 16.
· District 8 Local Notice to Mariners: Local Notices to Mariners | Navigation Center (uscg.gov)
This link should have upcoming events (both recurring and new). Probably the best source for identifying upcoming events. Mariners are required to have the most updated copy of the LNM.
· WAP meeting: I usually talk about upcoming events at the WAP.
· New events: If an event is happening for the first time/ not in the CFR, they must go through a rulemaking process. For large events, I usually talk to Mr. Podurgiel and Mr. Checkan about the potential impact on industry.
Industry Terminal & Salvage
Navigation Committee Chairman
Waterways Association of Pittsburgh