Safety Manager (Chicago, IL)
Patrick Engineering is accepting applications for a Safety Manager (Chicago, IL)
Patrick is a national engineering and design, construction, management services, and technology firm. Since 1979, we have been providing services to local, state, and federal government agencies; private and public utilities; and FORTUNE 500 companies. Having worked in all 50 states, six different countries and proven ourselves as a trusted partner, clients turn to us for the entire process of project delivery - from planning through construction to operation and maintenance. Patrick accomplishes this with a full suite of engineering disciplines, experienced construction managers, program management and project controls experts, and GIS and asset management technology specialists. We serve clients in the transportation, utility and renewable, industrial infrastructure, and federal and institutional markets. We take pride knowing the projects we work on have a positive effect on the community, society, and the environment.
The SMP Safety Manager is a field facing position that provides leadership, management and oversight of the PGL Capital Construction safety program (SMP). Delivers safety counsel to team members while performing own job. This role works closely with all levels of the organization as well as the contractors to ensure all work is performed to company safety standards, OSHA, and all workplace safety laws. Performs field audits and observations to gather information while consulting and advising the department on health and safety issues.
Conducts investigations of accidents, injuries, tools, equipment, work methods or other issues.
Position Function, Duties, and Responsibilities:
- Audit safety performance through observation and inquiry. Identify improvement opportunities and inform management of issues and solutions.
- Deliver safety training programs and materials.
- Assist with managing the safety program in accordance with PGL Core Values
- Develop and monitor strategies and action plans to ensure the Company’s workforce meet a high level of safety performance
- Collaborate with the safety team members in implementing the safety strategy based on a shared vision, standardized programs, processes and measures
- Provide direction to contract safety resources working for PGL
- Maintains knowledge of jurisdictional and company HSE requirements and standards
- Assist in the development and implementation of procedures, policies, and programs relating to safety.
Informal Leader - No direct reports
Provides daily work direction to team members / co-workers while performing own job; may contribute to planning, work scheduling and minor decision-making regarding work methods. This position may provide feedback on team member/co-worker performance to immediate supervisor.
Decision Making Level:
Significant (Individual Contributor)
Typically resolves complex problems or problems that do not have routine solutions. Operates under minimal supervision.
Minimum Experience and Qualifications Required:
- Previous experience in providing safety services on major construction programs is preferred; previous Utility Industry experience is a plus
- Associate Degree in Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Health or related field preferred
- 3 years minimum of experience preferred delivering a wide range of safety and/or industrial hygiene related initiatives, programs and metrics is preferred
- At least 3 years of experience preferred in Safety related regulatory compliance is preferred
- Previous experience in: coordinating safety with workers compensation, health and wellness initiatives, leading or implementing significant change company-wide with minimal direction and monitoring contractor performance
- Competent in Microsoft Office Suite programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Professional certifications are a plus
- OSHA Authorized Outreach Instructor preferred
- Ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently.
- Ability to consult effectively with internal clients.
- Planning and project coordination skills.
- Ability to adapt to changes in the external environment and organization.
- Ability to provide high quality customer service.
- Effective presentation and training skills.
- Good interpersonal skills, with the ability to interact effectively.
- Ability to maintain composure in dealing with all organizational levels including, executives, managers and supervisors, employees, training staff and the public, occasionally under conditions of urgency and in pressure situations.
Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license
Must perform covered functions under Pipeline and Hazardous Material Safety Administration (PHMSA)
This entire job profile is intended to cover the most significant aspects of the position. There may be additional responsibilities assigned beyond the enclosed. The company reserves the right to modify the role, responsibilities, requirements, and position status as compliance regulations or business needs dictate.
Patrick does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or agencies. Any resume submitted to any employee of Patrick without a prior written search agreement will be considered unsolicited and the property of Patrick. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action Policy Statement
It is the policy of Patrick Engineering Inc. (“Patrick”) to provide equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disabilities, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, military status, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, other protected veterans (veterans who served during a war or in a campaign or expedition for which a badge has been authorized), and Armed Forces service medal veteran, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. We are strongly committed to this policy and believe in the concept and spirit of the law.
For more information and to apply for this position click here.
Learn more about Patrick Engineering here.